Holiday tomarrow? Do your kids have it off?????

marie_ndcalNovember 8, 2012

Opening day of deer season. Schools closed and with the holiday Monday, gives them a 4 day holiday!!!

But major storm on the way in which the hunters like.

Oh well, since we are not hunters will enjoy the inside, warm house

Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tami_ohio

Not a holiday as far as I know, but the gkids are off for conferences. Stay warm and safe!

Tami

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:04PM
glenda_al

Monday is Veterans Day, kids off here.

Never heard of such as deer season holiday.

My son is an avid hunter.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:10PM
adellabedella_usa

Not for us. The kids celebrate Veteran's Day at school, but don't get time off for it.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:14PM
minnie_tx

Thanks for the reminder sbout Monday. Since Veterans Day is on Sunday Nov 11, the banks and Post Office should be closed on Monday

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:41PM
iowagirl2006

Nope - no days off for hunting or Veterans Day.

I do know a few kids who are taking the WEEK off from school to trap. That would never ever happen at this house!

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 7:44AM
alisande

Our first day of deer season is later in the month. I always dread it. But I'm sure the kids don't, because the schools close.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 7:50AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Wait....am I missing something? The schools are closed on the first day of hunting season? BECAUSE it's the first day? Of hunting season?

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 8:07AM

Wait....am I missing something? The schools are closed on the first day of hunting season? BECAUSE it's the first day? Of hunting season?

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 8:08AM
azzalea

Not around here. And if they had been closed for hunting season, you can bet my daughter would NOT have had a 'free' day--Mom would have seen to it that she spent the day doing something worthwhile and educational (possibly at a wildlife shelter), so she realized that shooting animals is NOT something to be celebrated. Luckily, in our area, hunting is not widely practiced.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 8:10AM
LuAnn_in_PA

We get off the opening day of deer, but that is NOT until later this month.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 9:01AM

I'm not anti hunting, at all. I am rather taken aback that the schools are closed for such a reason. The thought of hundreds or thousands of armed children being set loose in the woods......yikes!

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 9:03AM
Kathsgrdn

They had Monday off for some teacher conference, workday thing...and Tuesday for election day. I thought Sunday was Veterans' Day?

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 10:09AM
rob333

Nope. We were off for parent/teacher conferences this past Tuesday, election day. I thought that was a smart move. Usually they'll be in school one day, out one, then back in... First time I can think of they actually used a day for two things at one time.

Where I used to live was the Tennessee Walking horse celebration and the kids got out of school that week. It's just about the only time of year that county makes money. Everyone rents out their houses (on our street, across from the horse grounds), for thousands and the kids work the shows. Whatever works! I did find it odd, but I understood why they did it. We moved before our son started school so I never had to subject him to that week.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 10:57AM

Kath, Veterans Day is officially Nov. 11 of every year. If that day falls on a Sunday, it is observed on Monday.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 11:10AM
sheilajoyce_gw

I remember teaching high school in a semi rural area. The first day of hunting season, the boys were not there. Nowadays where we live, for every day a student is absent, the school district loses under $50 a day in state funding. That wouldn't be a concern for the students, but it is a significant drop in funding for the schools. So you can see why a school district would change its calendar in order to avoid such a large loss of funding.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 12:24PM
monica_pa

Every day is deer season around here (a suburban Pa township of 20,000 people).

We are overrun with deer in our yards, and streets - and it's illegal to kill them (except in the dark, when they run in front of a car, and a lot of body damage).

It's a rare day that I don't see a dead deer by the road.

But, the schools are open.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
Book of the Week
The Martian : a novel / Andy Weir. This is one of the...
stacey_mb
Spring Swap.......... are you in?
I was thinking today, its about time for a spring swap....
JoAnn_Fla
Ziplocs with sliders
Whoever invented them, I'm grateful. I use a lot of...
lucillle
Thursday's Trivia Quiz
Happy Pistachio Day! The most common place where couples...
Jasdip
Question about School Closures
I live across the river from Detroit, Michigan. Any...
cherryfizz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™