Genealogists, where can I find....

tami_ohioNovember 1, 2013

DH would like to put a veterans medallion on his dad's gravestone. He can get one free from the government if he fills out a form on line and sends that along with a copy of DFIL's DD-214, his discharge paper. Do any of you know where we could obtain a copy? It seems like I remember someone saying it should be registered at one of the county offices, but I can't remember which one, or if I am correct in my thinking. I don't think we have a copy of it ourselves.

Tami

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wolf_seeker

Hi Tami,

I don't post very often...mostly just lurk, because I don't have internet access at home.

When I was trying to get military records for my Dad, I called Social Security, because I didn't know where else to look for help. They suggested I try calling the Veteran's Dept. I called the local office, and the Adjutant General was very helpful. I had a copy in my hands in less than a week. This was in New Hampshire, so I'm not sure if it would be the same where you are, but it would be worth trying. You might also try the link below for footnote.com. I don't know if they have discharge papers on-line or not. It may also depend on the branch of service, I'm not sure. My Dad was Army, European Theater during World War 2. Hope this helps!!

Helen

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 11:34PM
wolf_seeker

OOOPPS, the link didn't show up! I'll try again now...just in case it doesn't, it's http://www.footnote.com

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 11:39PM
wolf_seeker

OOOPPS, the link didn't show up! I'll try again now...just in case it doesn't, it's http://www.footnote.com

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 11:43PM
tami_ohio

Thank you Wolf_Seeker. We will check out the web site. I know I have a copy of the death certificate, but I don't think we have a copy of the discharge papers. DH wasn't the executor of the estate, so, if DFIL kept them, I think it's unlikely we will have it. He passed in 1994.

Tami

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 8:50AM
wanda_va

This might help: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/about-service-records.html

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 8:51AM
tami_ohio

Thanks Wanda

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 9:47AM
nizza

Tami, can you ask your DH where I can find the info on getting a veterans medallion as I would love to put one on my dad's gravestone. Thanks!

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 1:30PM
marie_ndcal

You also might contact any funeral home and ask them for information. As to a veterans medallion, check with your local VFW or American Leion Post. They might help you.
Marie

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 3:15PM
tami_ohio

Nizza, I will do that when he gets home.

Marie, thanks for another idea. I need to get down on the floor and go thru a filing cabinet to see exactly what we do have. However, that is not something my body is looking forward to! LOL!

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 3:20PM
oldfixer

The Medallion Form is VA FORM 40-1330-M.
Military Records are available from the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: NARA

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
Pay off my house or buy a new one?
I'm thinking about retirement. Thinking about having...
Kathsgrdn
Dinner at 8 (#6)
Grace Kelly is your guest of honor. Who else do you...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Sandie's husband died yesterday. :(
I hate to tell you all this, but here's my email from...
Granlan TX
Amazing Aunt Audrey
From being excited to being really sad
I was so excited that my refrigerator repairman was...
Georgysmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™