Brach's Candy made in Mexico or US--letter sent

marie_ndcalNovember 7, 2012

I just sent a email to Brach's candy co because I bought some Autumn mix--candy corn etc and on the back states it is manufactured in MN, then stamped below that made in Mexico. If I had seen that earlier, would not have bought it. Did contact company and will let you know

Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minnie_tx

Thanks Marie I think it is important that we know where our food and our pet food is made

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:07PM
cynic

Both say manufactured? Or does one say it's packaged in one location or the other? That's kind of strange. Keep us posted.

Brach's of course isn't the Brach's of old. It's been sold a number of times and is now owned by Farley's & Sathers, headquarters are in Round Lake MN. The City site says: "The company bags and ships 42 million pounds of candy at the Round Lake facility each year." so it could be it's made in Mexico and packaged and reshipped from Round Lake. It'll be interesting to hear how they respond.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 5:33AM
azzalea

Have you also noticed the change in texture of candy corn in the past few years? It used to be smooth--now it's more the texture of a pencil eraser. I forget that every year and buy a bag of it, and then am disappointed that it's not the same as it used to be.

I, too, try to stay away from foods made in other countries, but I simply cannot live without Hershey's chocolate--haven't yet been able to make myself give that up.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 8:12AM
monica_pa

If you want to eschew any foods imported from other countries, you will have a very, very limited diet.

In the case of candy....neither cocoa beans or sugar for human consumption are grown in the us.

Manufacturing on site keeps prices down. Would you pay 2 or 3X what you pay now for candy made in the US by union employees?

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 9:30AM
cynic

I guess I didn't realize that the US didn't grow any sugar fit for human consumption. But I don't see the "Pure cane sugar from Hawaii" commercials anymore so maybe that's true.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 9:12PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Sugar cane and sugar beets are both grown in very large amounts in the US.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 10:09PM
Sue_va

I wondered about the sugar not grown in the US. Of course it was a long time ago, but when I lived in Texas we chewed on sugar cane grown right next door.

Sue

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours Thurs Feb 26
A Bearded Seal I saw yesterday. Not common in these...
caseynfld
My 600 lb Life
I have been watching this program the past few weeks,...
enjoyingspring
Wasting an Airline's Time -- My Rant
My annual complaint: I guess I have taken up at least...
chisue
Anyone else still looking at the email confirmation message?
I'm getting a little tired of looking at Please confirm...
Alisande
New Story on my Blog
New Blog post today newpostbyseniorgal
seniorgal_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™