How do businesses get your email address????

marie_ndcalNovember 15, 2012

I am curious as to how does any business get my email address--that is when I buy something at a store or from the Scwan co. within a week or so, ads begin to show up sometime in my spam, using my name. No I do not give out my email. Even when I do buy anything, I still get requests by name from companies.

Ideas???

Thanks

Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathyid

Many businesses sell your address, and email. Even banks do it. MY dh gets a lot of them, and I am sure they are from ebay and craigs list. I use a different account for any purchases.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:12PM
monica_pa

I protect clutter in my email by using a separate email address for stores, etc.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 8:04AM
donna_loomis

On a lark, I ordered "free" business cards from Vista Print. I used what I thought was a catchy little phrase as a "business" name, just to hand out to people who were interested in my handmade crafts. I immediately started getting mail and email for this business name, so it was proof positive that Vista Print was the one who sold my name and other info. I believe you have to be informed about that though, and you will usually find that hidden somewhere in the fine print when you buy.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 9:13AM
Cynic

Another way they get it is from people you think are friends who refuse to show you the respect of using BCC on bulk mailings. They're the best friends of spammers.

Also the spammers just generate names as you can often see in lists. For instance once they get a name like janedoe@yourisp.com, they'll generate a list, i.e. jandoe, janedoe1, jdoe, doejane, etc and hope that some of them hit. There's also the spiders that search for names on forums and the like and use them for email attempts. Essentially free email promotes this.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Thursday evening Dinner
I made chicken parm tonite. I opened a bottle of strained...
Jasdip
Houzz, no moving forum?
Having trouble getting myself motivated. Need to clean...
josephene_gw
5 word game
Start with a word and from that word create 5 new words...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Why would a celll phone addict invite someone on an outing and then --
-- not tear themself away from their cell phone?
eclair
caseynfld
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™