ANyonw know how to report a transcribing error on the 1940 census

monica_paNovember 25, 2012

I know someone here is involved in

I just found a transcribing error on 1940 census entries for a family. There is a a big mistake in the spelling of the surname, from the original census form(it is handwritten correctly on the census form). I would hate to see this stay in files and cause confusion for future generations.

How can I get this corrected?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Did you contact Ancestry?

    Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 8:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I looked on the Ancestry site, but it only tells how to add a correction to a record. Unfortunately, when the surname is grossly misspelled...adding an amendment note household members, who do not share the head of house, does not correct the problem.
I'm still looking for a way to contact them about this problem.

    Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 8:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Monica -- I've sent you a message through your page...

    Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 3:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I've called them for the same problem. They walked me through how to make the correction and it was noted so that the correct name would show up in a search. Call them and speak to someone

    Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 10:48AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Whose fault is it if a dog attacks?
My neighbor has no gate on his now....fenced in yard(it...
Today is "Purple Day!"
This is my iris bed outside my bay window 2014. Dang...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Site of the Day Mar 27
Origami Paper Crafts - free to download, then you can...
New trend-fighting the bullies
So have you seen this going on? It just warms the cockles...
My Mother
We just had last rites performed for my mother. Hospice...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™