FREE shingles vaccine

alisandeNovember 27, 2012

I see that a health center in Wilkes-Barre, PA is offering free shingles shots to seniors on one day in December, along with free flu shots to the general public.

Perhaps this is being offered in other towns as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mare_wbpa

It must be the Kirby Health Center. They give free flu shots every yr. I live just outside the city and called a couple of yrs ago to ask if I was eligible for the Flu Vaccine, I wasn't, since I don't live inside city limits. That's a great give away. I wish I were eligible.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 6:38PM
alisande

Mare, this announcement lists two sites, and they don't mention any qualifications. Might be worth a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: free flu shots in W-B

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 6:54PM
golfergrrl

If you can find a free shingles shot..... go for it.
The shot costs almost $300.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 7:59PM
mare_wbpa

Thanks Susan. I'm going to call. The site for the Flu Vaccine is only a couple of miles from where I live, the other site just a bit further, but noe very far,. I hope I can get the Shingles vaccine, i askeed my Dr about. he told me it would cost about $250, not covered by Medicare.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 10:37PM
alisande

I hope you get it, Mare. Are you sure about the insurance coverage? I have Medicare, and most of the cost was paid by my Part D drug coverage. I paid $45 and got the shot at Rite-Aid.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 11:18PM
mare_wbpa

I only have the info from the MD's office, I haven't checked with pharmacies. I have the Humana/Walmart part D. I don't know if I've met the deduuctible yet.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 12:07PM
Marigene

Wish they had free shingles shots here...they were around $200 each, only a portion was covered by insurance.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 12:20PM
Marigene

Wish they had free shingles shots here...they were around $200 each for the frozen serum and then you had to take it to the doctor's office or pay the pharmacist for the injection, only a portion was covered by insurance.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 12:23PM
mare_wbpa

Just called about the free Shingles Vaccine. It's for those without insurance. I'm glad I don't qualify in that case. Thanks anyway Susan.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 1:01PM
chisue

OT: Do you live near Wilkes-Barre? Some of my Eloit/Eliot/Elliott ancestors escaped to that town from Wyoming during an Indian raid.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 6:14PM
alisande

Mare, with the insurance you have, it's too bad Walmart isn't giving the shot. My local Walmart gave me the impression that they'll offer them at some point. The pharmacist said, "we're working on it."

Sue, I'm about 50 miles from W-B. What year was that, do you know? I have a good friend with the last name Elliott, but he's originally from Syracuse. I assume you mean Wyoming, PA, yes? In addition to the town, Wyoming is a popular street name around here.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 7:18PM
monica_pa

Be careful, if you are on certain drugs, this vaccine is dangerous.

This post was edited by monica_pa on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 14:32

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 7:50PM
monica_pa

Oops...I confused the shingles shot for the flu shot. I got the flu shot, covered 100% by Medicare.
As to the shingles shot, because of my RA drugs, DR. said "No Way - too dangerous".

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Beauty Blender Sponge
I wear foundation and came across a picture of a Beauty...
lucillle
Do you use your phone as a camera?
I don't even have a cell phone but I read this today....
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Just a reminder...
for those who want to help bees and other pollinating...
petra_gw
Everyday drinking glasses, glass or plastic?
I bought plastic 'glasses' for water and juice, they...
lucillle
Houzz, no moving forum?
Having trouble getting myself motivated. Need to clean...
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™