Wah!!! My grandson!

glenda_alNovember 28, 2012

He's outgrown me :o(

Now that he has his drivers license and has his own vehicle, he doesn't need me to take him to the dermatologist, today, or to the orthodontist :o)

Just another passage of time in ones life!

Lol, he did call me on the cell phone and asked if I would stay with him making sure he was going in the right direction.

OK, grandmother, I'm here, bye!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chi83

Don't worry, the next stage is gas money. :)

I hope he was at least using a hands-free unit to call you, even though that's distracting as well. It makes me nervous to think of new drivers on cell phones. Experienced drivers are bad enough!

If he doesn't have a GPS, that might be a nice Christmas gift. I couldn't live without mine!

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 5:29PM
glenda_al

There was more silence than talk. I was just giving him landmarks to look for once he got in the area.

Please no issue on driving with cells, here. I know all that and agree.

Just making a statement about grandson growing up.

Yep, gps is on the wish list.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 5:42PM
chisue

Oh, is THAT all? I was thinking he'd gotten a steady girlfriend! lol

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 5:52PM
glenda_al

chisue, THAT's a lot to me :o)

We had great grandmother-grandson bonding time in the car, traveling from his mom's to his dad's, doctors appointments, etc.

NOW he can come to me which he did twice over Thanksgiving.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 6:04PM
lisa_fla

I thought maybe an accident-whew! He might have gps on his phone? DD does. If not, its a great gift idea!! How is he doing with the derm? DS(13) had to go on antibiotic pills last month.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 6:04PM
glenda_al

lisa, he's been off his meds for 6 months. This was a checkup to see if he needed them again, but his skin is beautiful right now, except for an occasional blemish that pops up. Nothing like before, thank goodness.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 6:06PM
kayjones

Awww, Glender - he's a up-and-coming MAN now, and you are a very loved memory/fall guy. He'll be back, but right now, he's establishing his position in the universe.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 6:08PM
patti43

On the brighter side he can come visit whenever he wants. And that's a good thing!

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 6:25PM
pam_25f

Glenda, I really understand what you are saying. There's no replacement for that car time with just the two of you. I loved picking up my grandsons from school, talking, getting homework done, having a snack. Now there is an estrangement between DIL and me so she doesn't ask me this year.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 6:43PM
terilyn

I love your relationship!

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 9:49PM
kacram

just a suggestion, but I would get him a regular GPS with a stand. DS was looking down at his gps in his phone and rear ended a guy on the freeway. Thank goodness it was
Seattle traffic on Thanksgiving and he was travelling very
slowly. They pulled over to the side of the freeway, and then the guy just took off ! Didn't get out of his car or
anything. Ry thinks its because the guy cut in front of
him with not enough room. Ry's license plate got dented is all.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 9:56PM
glenda_al

His dad is getting one and not one on his phone.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 10:09PM
sheilajoyce_gw

As my oldest was getting ready to drive, I discovered that she did not know the names of all the major streets in the various suburbs around us. We lived in one town, but she went to high school in the next town over. So as we drove around, I would ask her what street we were on, what intersection was coming up, etc. I felt if she learned the main roads and stop light intersections, etc, she would not struggle so much with directions or finding her way. I guess it worked.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 10:40PM
susanjf_gw

oh they start young! were driving over to dgd's other gma, and let her navigate, lol...she's 10...did pretty well...when the kids were small and i'd get double trip tiks from aaa...we had one, they had one...they all do pretty well with regular maps now, although dd1 has home visits in her job, so she has gps...

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 11:12PM
glenda_al

GS and I have a great relationship.
His new vehicle which he paid for in cash from money earned, is not the most desirable, but his first which he is so proud of.

He's not good in navigating, at least in my area, and that's why we do check point when he's on his on. He trusts his grandmother, yeah

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 11:23PM
GrammyMyrna

Glenda, is this your only grandchild or do you have others? I've never seen you speak about any others, only this one.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 4:01AM
jannie

I remember the teen years, driving my 2 daughters everywhere. We had some great talks in the car, sorry to see it end.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 8:42AM
glenda_al

I have one son and one grandson. I'm blessed to have those two.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 10:11AM
nodakgal

Aw Glenda!
Yep, big milestone! Part of growing up, but darn I wish they didn't do it so stinking fast!!!!!!
My oldest DGS Hunter is taller than me and his Mom and almost taller than DH now! OMG his voice is deeper, he wears a size 13 shoe!!!!!
He'd better not start patting his Nana on the head next! ;)

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 1:55PM
neesie

They all grow up, sooner or later. Not that we like it. But you can never outgrow your Grandmother.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 4:07PM
patti43

The talk about navigating reminded me of a story about my niece. Her parents went on vacation and my sister flew up to Boston to take care of the two little ones. DN was not quite 3 and DSis was driving her to nursery school one morning, when Miss Niece told my sister she wasn't a very good driver. My sister ask her why she thought that and she said, "You didn't turn right at the street back there." (Niece was right!) That is the most observant child I've ever known.

Didn't mean to hijack your post, Glenda. But my niece is 5 now and still funny!

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 4:39PM
teresava

Now HE can come pick YOU up to go somewhere. I remember when I first learned how to drive, I would go anywhere!! Need some milk? I'll run to the store anywhere anytime! Now it's old hat!

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 4:40PM
GrammyMyrna

Yes Glenda, you are blessed! Having the one grandchild explains the close bond you have with him, lucky you! :)

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 7:00PM
lsnel

Precious moments!

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 7:26PM
jemdandy

Bake chocolate chip cookies! Grandson will appear.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Back in the day.......
The KT moved at a much faster pace. A normal day was...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Done With Stupid Tax
I posted a couple of times about paying "Stupid...
vicsgirl
R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy has died
What a memorable character he created in Mr. Spock,...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Friday/Weekend Trivia Quiz
Happy Kahlua day! MATTI got the right answer! 1/3 of...
Jasdip
Survivor Reminder - Season 30!
Yes, the "junk food of television" starts...
countrycottageklutz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™