Putting lights on the tree...

schoolhouse_gwNovember 29, 2012

AAAACCCKK! Decided to take the lights off the bottom half of my artificial skinny tree because they were thrown, twisted, and looped one year and looked less than fine. I was going to do it right, like the videos online showed me. Hey, I caught on finally, wrap around the trunk, then proceed to wrap down each bough, go back, wrap around the trunk, ect,ect. Ran out of lights because it took more this way. Made a quick trip to DG and got 20' more of lights.

Was 20' too much - nope. Looked great, boughs wrapped nice and neatly.....except the middle strand goes out. Dummy me can't remember if it was the new strand or the old one from last year which I tested BEFORE I put it on the tree. So I spent another half hour unwrapping both strands. Since I'm the stubborn sort when it comes to this stuff, I took the strand that did light and proceeded to put it back on. Sheesh. I've been working on these lights since 1:30pm. and it's now 3:45p. I'm going to take a break! then probably go buy a new strand. ugh.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marie_ndcal

I don't put up a tree, so don't have that problem. Just decorate different. But yes, it can be frustrating

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 5:11PM
schoolhouse_gw

Well, turns out I didn't need to go buy another string of lights. Remember I mentioned the "old strand from last year" - I walked into the livingroom and here it was laying on the couch! I wouldn't have had to buy the new one - which turned out to be no good. grrrr.

Yes, I know. Every year I say I'm not going to put the tree up but I do. This the earliest I've put it up. Now decorating it will be for another day.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 5:19PM
kayjones

I have a 3' pre-light tree, so gave away all my tangled strings of lights. I don't have your fortitude! If they didn't work, they'd go in the trash.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 7:38PM
phyllis__mn

This is the first year I will not be having a tree. I brought it in, top third lights were out, and I told it it was an ugly tree, anyway, so I hauled it back to the garage. I have hung the ornaments on my curtains instead. Oh, I have a lot of other Christmas decor so the tree isn't really missed. Family will not be here this year, as I'm going to one of their homes for the big do.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 7:59PM
linda_in_iowa

I hadn't had a tree up the past few years because I hate putting the lights on. Yesterday I bought a 6 ft tree with the lights on it but haven't put it up yet. I hope to get it up tomorrow.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 8:10PM
nanaofmany08

i have bought new lights twice at the dollar tree and go them home and they dont work smh

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 9:13PM
schoolhouse_gw

I bought my skinny tree at JoAnn Fabrics years and years ago for 60% off, it was when this type of tree was just getting popular. The trunk is wooden with fake bark or something on it, the boughs are very realistic with little pine cones here and there. Came with lights already on it, and those lights lasted forever. It hasn't really been that long since I had to take them off and put my own on, and those lights lasted fairly long too. Anyway, I actually did learn how to put them on properly today. I should take the top strand off and do the same but I'm not sure I'm that ambitious. Next year I'll probably have to redo the whole thing again when the lights quit working.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 9:47PM
jemdandy

I have an artifical tree. It breaks down into 2 sections for storage. When I put lights on it, I arranged the plugs to be at the break. I leave the lights on the tree for storage. Now, when putting up the tree, all I have to do is assemble the tree and plug the lamp string back together at the tree break joint.

If I put the tree up this year, I will investigatge getting new LED lights. These should have long life and create much less heat and therefore, should be safer.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 10:16PM
iowagirl2006

Love my pre-lit tree.

Had a section go out last year and bought one of these guns:

One click with that gun and the lights were working again. Best investment EVER!

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
If you could be any character in a book...
Who would you choose? Or would you prefer to be a...
chi83
The outdoor hose problem
It always kinks, no matter what they say!! Does anyone...
sjerin
Harbinger of Spring!
Ha, I looked out of my front window a little while...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
My jeans are SO loose
So I have lost about 25 pounds. (I do sympathize to...
gazania_gw
Raven, I need help with Dragon Touch
My father got a Dragon Touch for Christmas. I set...
wanda_va
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™