How do you keep sliced apples from turning brown?

pammyfayNovember 11, 2011

I've been surfing the web to find an easy, cold party food idea to take to work; the boss lady is turning 50, so we're all bringing in light treats to mark the occasion. Already spoken for on the sign-up list: lots of baked goods, dips, chips, salsa, hummus/pita chips, crudites (that's usually my fallback! as is a dill dip, but it contains raw onions and she won't eat raw onions, so that's out.)

I thought of doing a fruit platter and came across this recipe.

Now I know that pretty much almost immediately sliced apples start to turn brown. (What's the chemical reaction to air that does that?).

Anyway -- pls read this recipe in the link. One of the steps is to place the sliced apples in a Ziploc with half a cup of orange juice, coat them well and then place them on a drying rack.

I've heard of sprinkling lemon juice over sliced apples -- I guess orange juice uses the same acidic properties to keep them from turning.

I'd be horrified if I took this in to work and realized all the apples were brown! Before my last plane trip, I sliced some apples, put them in a container and put them in the fridge. In the morning, they were brown -- I guess the container was not 100% airtight. Maybe I should just put the apple slices, after the draining, into a Ziploc and take them to work that way?

Here is a link that might be useful: apples w/cream cheese-honey dip

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cwnev

I usually just squeeze a little fresh lemon on the apples in a baggie and then move them around to coat them lightly. Doesn't take much. pat dry when putting them on the plate at the function, just so they don't taste too lemony. If they are tart apples, people won' t notice much.

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 1:35PM
cynic

I also read somewhere that 7up will stop the browning. Never tried it so I don't know if it's a myth or not. Lemon juice is the common cure for browning of things.

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 3:15PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Lemon juice in water will keep them from browning for awhile. I think I would slice the apples just before leaving for work at home, and as I slice them throw them in a Tupperware bowl of lemon water. Then I would take bowl, water and apples to work and drain the apples there on paper towel before putting them out.

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 4:15PM
RuthieG__TX

Lemon juice should do the trick.

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 5:14PM
Vickey__MN

7up works great

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 7:38PM
wildchild

I use a product called Fruit Fresh. You can sprinkle it on wet fruits or you can mix it with water and dip things like apple or pear slices to prevent browning. It doesn't change the taste at all unlike lemon juice.

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 8:25PM
marilyn_sue

I'd use the Fruit Fresh also. Sometimes found in the canning department of your grocery.

Sue

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 8:55PM
Georgysmom

Tonight I had a salad with sliced apple plus an appetizer with sliced apple. I slices the apples ahead of time and put them in a bowl and covered them with Fresca. 7 up or Mountain Dew works great too. I like using the soda better than lemon juice because the lemon juice over powers the taste of the apple.

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 10:37PM
colleenoz

We do a lot of fruit platters for sports teams at work and we drop the apples as we cut them up into a bowl of water with lemon juice added to it. Drain and place on the tray. The apples don't taste of the lemon.

Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 1:11AM
pixistix

My cupboard is never without Fruit Fresh - it's the greatest. Many times, I slice apples, dust liberally with FF and store in a plastic bag in the fridge. They never get brown, soggy, wet or lose their flavor.

Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
Do you wear your outdoor shoes indoors at home?
In my neck of the woods, during snowy winter months...
stacey_mb
Anyone get their Houzz gift?
I just received mine today, very cool!
chi83
Should I chair?
Next year will be our 50th high school graduation....
secsteve
My jeans are SO loose
So I have lost about 25 pounds. (I do sympathize to...
gazania_gw
Chi83's wedding
Chi83 -- I was remiss in not wishing you and your hubby...
Lindsey_CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™