Sugar Free/Diabetic Pumpkin Roll Recipe???

tami_ohioNovember 3, 2008

DD (Perfect Pets) is looking for a sugar free pumpkin roll recipe. She usually uses my late MIL's recipe (She loves using grandma's recipes), but her boyfriend has a friend at work who loves pumpkin rolls but is diabetic. My mother is, also, and likes it, so she is on a mission. It is also now the busy holiday season at work for her, so she isn't going to get many days off to bake until after Jan 1.

I am also going to post this at the cooking forum, but I know many here are diabetic with good recipes. She has one using splenda to make powdered suger and it was gross and gritty.

Thanks

Tami

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladonna

Here is a receipe. Ive never tried it though, i use the one, that is on the pumpkin can, and use the same amount of splenda as it calls for on sugar. Even though a person is diabetic, they can still have some sugar. It use to be you couldnt have it at all, but doctors have changed their thinking on that.

Cake:
3 large eggs
1 cup Equal® Spoonful*
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup self-rising flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Filling:
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
, softened
1 1/2 to 2 cups light whipped topping, thawed, if frozen
2 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful** (or to taste)

1. For Cake: Beat eggs and 1 cup Equal® for 5 minutes in mixing bowl on medium speed of mixer.
  2. Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice. Blend in flour, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined.
  3. Line a jelly roll pan with waxed paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 5 to 8 minutes or until woodenpick comes out clean. Cool 3 minutes in pan; turn out onto a cloth and roll up from the narrow end.
  4. Chill in refrigerator until completely cool.
  5. For Filling: Beat cream cheese, whipped topping and 2 tablespoons Equal® in mixing bowl on medium speed of mixer until smooth and spreadable.
  6. Unroll pumpkin roll and spread with filling. Re-roll. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Slice cake into pinwheels.

Makes 8 servings.

* May substitute 24 packets Equal sweetener

** May substitute 3 packets Equal sweetener

Nutrition Information Per Serving:
calories 159, protein 6 g, carbohydrate 19 g, fat 6 g, cholesterol 87 mg, sodium 341 mg.

Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 12:40PM
tami_ohio

Ladonna, thank you. I will make sure she sees this.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 1:03PM
twodirtyknees

here's a link to a 'patch' full of pumpkin cooking ideas! Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: a

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 2:21PM
better2boutside

I use a recepie from Libby's website, but this is one that uses splenda and has all the "right" spices..... Gotta have a bit of ground clove for a little "zing"

Here is a link that might be useful: Libby's recipes

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 3:01PM
lilliepad

I have made pumpkin roll with a regular recipe and substituted Splenda for sugar in equal amounts.I do that with all recipes.
You can also make "powdered sugar" with Splenda.

Here is a link that might be useful: Splenda recipes

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 6:54PM
perfectpets

Lilliepad, how do you make your powdered sugar? I found a recipe that uses corn starch, splenda, and dry milk and it was gross. I know ther is one that also uses just corn starch and splenda. But when I tried them they always come out gritty. For some reason I cant seem to get the sugar substitute fine enough.

Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I will try them and let yyou know how they come out. I finally got a day off and plan to spend this afternoon baking with DS. Which should be interesting.

Grainlady, DM gave me your recipe and I'm going to try it as soon as I can find some spelt flour and agave nectar. I noticed that the substitution for agave nectar is not cup for cup with sugar. Is there a true measurement for the agave nectar? I noticed you used 1/4c agave nectar in place of sugar, was that a guestimation on your end?

Pets

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
when does your "Spring Cleaning" start?
This time around I'm going to be organized about it....
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Let's get to know each other March 1, 2015
Its been a really long time since we did this and I...
JoAnn_Fla
Eyeglass Frame Measurement
or many years, I have worn single vision round eyeglasses...
happs
Houzz, no moving forum?
Having trouble getting myself motivated. Need to clean...
josephene_gw
Amazing Aunt Audrey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™