My Petsitting Service-Hurricane Sandy Related

jannieNovember 3, 2012

Hi! I'm in long Island, which still has lots of power outages. Best estimate our electric company can give is the weekend after this (Nov 10-11). Very luckily, my DH and I got power back after 22 hours. Our two daughters have been stopping by, each spent a night here keeping warm. Both have brought over their pets because we have heat and they don't. Older daughter brought her boyfriend's two parrotts. Boy do they make noise! And younger daughter brought her tropical fish. The parrots are in a closed off bedroom to keep cats away and the fish are in a bathroom. So we're running a free pet sitting business. I'm afraid to drive because the traffic lights are still out and I don't want to waste gasoline. So I travel on foot to our local grocery, where they are taking cash only.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azzalea

They may not exactly realize it, but I'm sure the pets appreciate being someplace more comfortable than their homes would be.

How's gas in your area? I'm sure you've heard, it's so bad in NJ, there are long lines, and now gas rationing in many areas. Luckily, we're in the south end of the state--all stations are open and they aren't even raising their prices. And I'm enough inland that our area had rain and wind, but not enough for significant damage, thank goodness. Even so, I tried to talk my dd out of coming to visit today (an hour each way) so she wouldn't waste her gas, just in case.

Glad you're doing well--we had an outtage about that long last summer when the Derecho went through--and you just feel so fortunate when those lights go back on, don't you. Hang in there. We'll get through this one, also.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 9:50AM
jannie

Gas is awful-all the stations in my town are closed, out of gas. There are cars parked around the block about a half mile near one station. There was a "rumor" the station would be getting a gas delivery today (Saturday).

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 9:53AM
wanda_va

I'm so happy to see you posting. I was worried about you. Glad you and DH didn't have to wait too long to get your power restored. I can't believe how bad it is in NY and NJ--and how poor the response is from those who are in charge.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 10:58AM
jannie

Exactly, our power company (LIPA= Long Island Power Authority) is estimating electric will be back for my sister in law next Wednesday (Nov. 7) and my 2 daughters still have no estimated restoration time. They say all but 2 hospitals on Long Island have been restored. And they are saying, if a tree is down, it's the homeowners' responsibility to remove it before the electric company crew will attempt to fix the power line.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 11:10AM
marie_ndcal

Jannie--glad things are better for you. Stay safe and keep warm
Marie

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 12:51PM
adellabedella_usa

My brother is in NJ. He still doesn't have power. I asked him about food and water. He said he has a grocery store about four miles away. He is trying not to waste gasoline so he wears a back pack and rides his bike over for ice and any other groceries he might want. He'd be ok for a while even if he didn't have the grocery store. I think he was pretty well stocked up with food and water before the storm hit.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
What's for Dinner ... Sunday
I doesn't look like anyone has started this thread...
bob_cville
My Mother
We just had last rites performed for my mother. Hospice...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Cat with arthritis? Problems moving.
Hi, I posted this on Pets too but I don't know how...
chi83
Sponsored Products
Circular Bathroom Sink | Luxury Italian Black Gold Vessel
maestrobath
Bejeweled Rug
Dot & Bo
Floral Hurricane Antique Brass Finish Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Madison Rockefeller Brown Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 10 In. Rug
$170.40 | Bellacor
20-Piece Sophia Flatware Service - RED
$39.90 | Horchow