Yummy turkey - cooked OFF the grid!!

rosemarytNovember 24, 2012

This year, we roasted our 18-pound turkey in the Weber grill.

We've done that before and cooking with charcoal is a no-brainer, but this year, we used our newly installed solar panels to power the electric rotisserie.

The turkey came out DEEEE-licious. And the solar-charged, battery powered rotisserie spun a little bit slower than it would if hooked up to household current.

The end result was perfect. The turkey was tender and juicy and wholly delightful!

And the most interesting part: The three small solar panels charged the battery *faster* than the rotisserie drained it.

Hubby shows off his turkey:

Newly installed solar panels atop the shed:

Inside the shed, you can see our inverter (left) and solar controller (right). The inverter converts the incoming 12 volts of power into 120 volts, which can be used with household appliances.

The whole rig: Solar controller, inverter (750 watts) and deep-cycle marine battery (12 volts).

And a picture of the almost-final product:

We installed the solar ourselves. Total cost: $351 (for every single thing, which includes $114 for the battery and $39 for the inverter).

I *highly* recommend solar as an emergency power back-up. It's silent and efficient and if I had the roofspace, I'd cover the house with solar panels. :)

And it makes the best turkeys!

Here is a link that might be useful: Specific details on how we installed the solar panels

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marilyn_c

Very interesting, and it does look delicious!

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 8:36AM
tami_ohio

Wow! Where did you get the solar panels at that price, please? DH is very interested. Thanks! Oh, and the turkey looks yummy!

Tami

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 10:18AM
rosemaryt

Tami, we got them at Harbor Freight. They're "Thunderbolt Solar Panels" and the price was $229, on sale for $189 and I had a $30 coupon. My final price was $159.

They're 45 watts, which is pretty good. I was just outside and I used my electric hedge clippers for 30 minutes. I wore out before the power gave out!

The marine deep-cycle battery was $114, and the inverter (also harbor freight) was $69, on sale for $39 and I had a $10 off coupon.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 12:19PM
minnie_tx

Thanks so interesting I've sent the thread to my DS.
WOW a far cry from all those lovely old homes you collect !!

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 12:29PM
RuthieG__TX

I want to share your link on Facebook for my friends to see....Hope that is OK...

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 12:45PM
minnie_tx

Rosemary,
I dont know where I've been but just discovered your webpage via the link above. many happy exploring hours ahead for me

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 2:50PM
rosemaryt

Yes, Ruthie, please do share it with whomever. You know I'm *way* into Ham Radio these days. Studying for my "Extra" now. :) Just got my General in September (access to HF bands which transmit all over the world) and I love it.

I even talked the hubby into getting his license. He passed his "Tech" test this morning.

There are three other women in my local radio club, but I'm the first woman who got her Ham Radio License *before* my husband.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 2:54PM
nicole__

Love the solar panels...buuuuuuuuuut.....how long did you cook the turkey?

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 4:55PM
minnie_tx

wish you could submit this to the Survivor Blog it's the kind of thing they like to have

Here is a link that might be useful: SurvivalBlog.com

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 4:59PM
rosemaryt

Minnie,

I hope you enjoy my blog. I've written almost 700 articles (blogs) on a plethora of subjects, from my dog's encounter with a rabid dog to running coax and installing an HF antenna.

Nicole,

My husband cooked the turkey 3.5 hours and it weighed 18 pounds. He checked for doneness using a meat thermometer. The breast meat hit 170 degrees and the dark meat hit 180 degrees.

As to the old houses, I'm getting a little tired of that topic. For 12 years, it was my world.

Now I'm having fun delving into Ham Radio and all its ancillary features. I recently joined not one but TWO local ham radio clubs and I thoroughly enjoy it. The groups are full of folks who are incredibly intelligent and super fun.

I'm the village idiot in both groups, but that's okay. I'm learning so much and they're all so patient with me. :)

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 5:55PM
minnie_tx

Well, keep on keepin on !! I'm glad you have expanded your interests (the better for us I think)

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 7:38PM
secsteve

We've been doing our turkey this way for years. It takes a lot less time and frees up the oven for other things.

This year our 12lb turkey took just a little over 2 and a half hours to cook. It literally falls off the bones doing it this way and is good and moist.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 8:26AM
jannie

Where did yuu find that turkey spit? I have a Weber grill I use in the summer, just cleaned it and stored it Friday (my "Black Friday" chore).

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 8:44AM
tami_ohio

Thanks! We have been thinking about solar panels for the RV but don't want to spend tons of $.

Tami

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 12:19PM
rosemaryt

Jannie, click on the link below to see the rotisserie.

It's called a "Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie" and Amazon has it for about $140.

Tami, I *highly* recommend the solar panels from Harbor Freight. Our total cost for the whole thing was $351. Curiously, they're called "Thunderbolt Solar Panels."

Here is a link that might be useful: Weber Rotisserie

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 12:54PM
oldgardener_2009

I'm interested in off grid living and ham radios too. Great job on the solar panels. Your blog is fun to read.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 1:37PM
More Discussions
Thought on solar companies, please
Our electricity bills are just outrageous and we are...
donna_loomis
Friday/Weekend Trivia Quiz
When looking back on high school, just under HALF (46%)...
Jasdip
Alisande
when does your "Spring Cleaning" start?
This time around I'm going to be organized about it....
Amazing Aunt Audrey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™