eBay item damaged in shipping - what to do?

iowagirl2006November 29, 2012

Calling on the experts at the KT! :)

I recently ordered something from eBay and it arrived broken. It was insured. (But very poorly packaged)

Do I contact the eBay seller - or do I go straight to the Post Office and start the claim myself?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fran1523

I would go back to the seller. you shouldn't have to go through the inconvenience of dealing with the post office.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 8:15AM
nelles_gw

I would first notify the seller. You can't, I believe, file a claim as you are not the one who purchased the insurance - even though you probably paid for it with your eBay purchase.

I'm thinking that you'll tell the seller, who will, hopefully, give you a refund. Then the seller files the claim with the PO.

Ellen

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 8:17AM
jannie

The seller/ sender has to make a claim with the Post Office. I once bought a glass pitcher on Ebay and it arrived broken. The seller filed a claim which was denied. The PO said it promises delivery only, not that an item will arrive in one piece. Since then I have considered Ebay a gamble.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 8:34AM
alisande

Good advice above. I once bought two wineglasses on eBay, and one arrived broken. I sent the seller a photo, and she mailed me a replacement. I was glad she was so cooperative and nice. She had only four of them total.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 9:07AM
Fun2BHere

The best thing to do is contact the seller by doing the following:
In eBay

Go to your Purchased Items List

Find the item in your list

On the right-hand side of the page, you will see "Leave feedback" and below that "More Actions"

Choose "More Actions" and you will see "Contact Seller"

Choose "Contact Seller", then choose "Item I Received is Not As Described" and click on "No, I want to contact the seller", then "Continue"

Now, you have a box where you can explain to the seller that the item arrived broken. You will also see Attach Photos right above your user name below the text box. For fastest service, attach a digital picture showing the broken item. Ask the seller if they would like to replace the broken item or issue a refund.

Most sellers will issue a refund and tell you to discard the broken item. Some sellers will send you a replacement. In really rare instances, the seller will want you to return the broken item. If they ask you to do so, request that they send you a pre-paid mailing label so that you do not have to pay the return shipping.

Do not throw away the item or any of the packaging materials until you have a refund.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 9:55AM
iowagirl2006

Thanks a million!

I will get going on this and contact the seller.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
Today is "Crayola Day!"
History of Crayola
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Some comedy for "Call the Midwife" fans (and others!)
Call the Midwife Comic Relief Sketch
Alisande
RX Relief Discount Card...scam or a real thing?
My husband received a RX Relief Discount card from...
carabubble
Tuesday's Trivia Quiz
ATOMICJAY was the first to get the right answer. GEORGYSMOM...
Jasdip
Whose fault is it if a dog attacks?
My neighbor has no gate on his now....fenced in yard(it...
nicole___
Sponsored Products
Varaluz | Facet 1 Light Pendant Light
$159.00 | YLighting
Hampton Bay Lamp Shades Mix & Match Bavarian Grey Rectangle Bell Table Lamp
$24.97 | Home Depot
Mini Square Chrome One-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Bordeaux Red Crystal an
$150.00 | Bellacor
"Holiday Delights" Cheesecake
$185.00 | Horchow
WIRES Bottle Carrier by Blomus
$33.29 | Lumens
Florence Style Loft Armchair Loveseat and Sofa Set of 3 in Orange Tweed
$1,989.00 | LexMod
Small Jay Sectional
Opulent Items
David Bromstad "Cattails" Artwork
Grandin Road
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™