So I thought I'd freeze some herbs in olive oil.....

alisandeOctober 11, 2012

I read about this in several places online, illustrated with pictures. They show the person putting an herb in a blender, along with olive oil (usually 1/3 cup oil for 2 cups herbs), turning the blender on, and ending up with a soft paste that can be put in a freezer bag and then flattened. When frozen, pieces can be broken off to add to soups, etc. It looked good.

I picked rosemary and sage this evening, and decided to start with the rosemary. I put it in the blender with the olive oil, turned on the blender (yes, I covered it), and . . . it whipped the oil. Nothing happened to the rosemary. Wouldn't you think a blender, and a fairly new one at that, would turn fresh rosemary into a paste? Not this one.

I ended up turning on my food processor and slowly pouring the contents of the blender into it. I think it might have turned into a paste if I'd had a larger quantity. As it was, it did a lot better job of chopping the rosemary, but the two ingredients never quite got together.

So now I have a one-pint freezer bag in the freezer, partly filled with rosemary and olive oil, and a sink completely filled with blender and food processor parts, each covered with olive oil. And I'm going to bed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodsy_1 Zone 5b Illinois

I'll share the methods that work for me.

The woody herbs like rosemary, sage, thyme, and tarragon can be frozen whole. Be sure to dry them completely after rinsing. Chuck them in freezer bags stems and all. Once they're frozen, squeeze the bag and the leaves break right off the stems. Easy!

For the more tender herbs like basil, parsley, and oregano I simply chop them up in a food processor and put them in ice cube trays. Most say to cover them with olive oil, but I find they freeze just as well using water. Store the frozen herb cubes in freezer bags and drop them frozen into your sauce or whatever.

I'm sorry you have such a mess to deal with!

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 6:24AM

The woody herbs like rosemary, sage, thyme, and tarragon can be frozen whole. Be sure to dry them completely after rinsing. Chuck them in freezer bags stems and all. Once they're frozen, squeeze the bag and the leaves break right off the stems. Easy!

For the more tender herbs like basil, parsley, and oregano I simply chop them up in a food processor and put them in ice cube trays. Most say to cover them with olive oil, but I find they freeze just as well using water. Store the frozen herb cubes in freezer bags and drop them frozen into your sauce or whatever.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 6:25AM

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 6:59AM

Sorry for the triple post. I have no idea how that happened!

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 7:00AM
alisande

That sounds much easier, Woodsy! I'll try it with the sage. My DIL also suggested that if I want to try the olive oil approach again I might do better using my hand-held Cuisinart blender. Easier cleanup, at least.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:36AM
susan_on

I'm going to try that Woodsy. Thanks!

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:54AM
jennmonkey

That's how I freeze my pesto, Woodsy. I make it in the food processor, freeze it in ice cube trays, and then pop them out into ziplocks. Individual sized pesto cubes!

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 2:01PM

Good luck with your easy freezing! I make pesto too, and freeze it exactly the same way. There is nothing like the taste of summer in the dead of winter!

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
Let's start a Chain Reaction Game! Get some activity going here.
We played this one before so it should be familiar...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Friday/Weekend Trivia Quiz
Happy Kahlua day! MATTI got the right answer! 1/3 of...
Jasdip
What colour do you see?
I see both. When I opened I saw white and gold. I scrolled...
Cookie8
New Story on my Blog
New Blog post today newpostbyseniorgal
seniorgal_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™