How many did you have?

workoutladyOctober 31, 2012

How many did you have for Halloween this year? We had about 135 which is about 40 more than I planned for. Had to send DH to the store to get more candy. I should have planned better I guess. The weather is great and not too cold for this time of year. It's about 40 right now and no wind or rain. I put it on my calendar so I could be prepared for next year. I normally go until about 8 or 8:30 but this year turned out the light at 7:20. Most in the neighborhood turned out the lights before us. I feel bad. I know there's still kids out there. So how many did the rest of you have?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenda_al

None! Per usual

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 8:48PM
YogaLady1948

We usually get between 0-3, not dark here yet;)

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 8:51PM
OklaMoni

Not enough!!!. I will gain a bunch, if I eat all that is left over. LOL

I think, I had about 40. Not knowing how many might come through here, I bought to much candy. I might take it with me to work. :)

Moni

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 8:58PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

2 batches so far, about 6 little ones, then 2 younger teens.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 9:02PM
monica_pa

We had about 40-50. I think as lot of kids came from surrounding towns that cancelled trick or treating because so many homes have lost power.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 9:03PM
casey_nfld

45, which is about what we usually get. I give out cans of soda pop. I don't drink that so there's no temptation to "eat" what's left over.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 9:17PM
dedtired

I lost count. It was like another hurricane -- of kids! I ran out of candy before I ran out of trick or treaters. They were so cute, I felt bad that I had to turn off the light. I never thought we'd get so many after the storm. Maybe if I hadn't eaten so much of the candy while I was stuck in the house, I'd have had enough for all.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 9:29PM
renee_fl

About a dozen.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 9:34PM
Holly_ON

Nineteen

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 9:38PM
carol_in_california

It is still fairly early here and we have had about 15 kids.....so cute and they have been so polite.
I have been taking their pictures and showing them the results....lots of smiles.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 9:56PM
minnie_tx

None here our whole block was black as coal.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 10:08PM
wanda_va

Not one--in 19 years! Our driveway is long, uphill, winding, dark and scary....

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 10:18PM
kris_zone6

At least 200 and we aren't done yet.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 10:30PM
hounds_x_two

I didn't count. I'm thinking maybe 40. It was a nice bunch of kids this year. I turned off the lights at 9:00.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 10:41PM
carabubble
  1. We usually get about that number every year. Lots of new little ones this year. They were so cute!
    Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 10:46PM
marie_ndcal

5, 2 of which were my GGD and her friend and 3 boys I did not know. Hope they didn't do any damage as we have had some problems in our town. Adults put on a party from 4-6 for all. Did not expect any due to area we are in--edge of town on main highway.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 10:54PM
LuAnn_in_PA

Zero.
Sandy made our area postpone things until Saturday.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 11:04PM
bryansda

Hubby said we had 10 which is down from our usual 20 to 25. It was rainy and cold here. I was in class.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 11:31PM
drewsmaga

We moved into this house on Oct. 18th. It's a subdivision that you'd think there would be a lot of kids for Halloween. And then my SIL buys candy for them and us at Costco and gets these 2 GIANT bags for us (150 pieces each.) Well, we had about 30 kids. DH will eat all the extra candy (and gain 20 lbs.)

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 12:40AM
sheilajoyce_gw

Only 3 little girls, and we bought one of those BIG Costo packs of chocolate mini bars. I will bring the peanut butter cups with me to DDs tomorrow as she likes them.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 1:05AM
Kathsgrdn

Don't know, was at work again this year. Think I'm going to request it off next year. I miss passing out candy.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 1:44AM
ont_gal

84-they started @ 5 and finished by 730

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 2:23AM
marilyn_sue

None

Sue

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 2:38AM
Hellion

If you have an Operation Shoebox in your area, they are sending candy to the troops. You could donate your extra to them.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 5:34AM
brightonborn

10 the most I had in several years... my daughter had over 100 ran out of candy had to go buy more. Cars were pulling into the neighborhood by the droves.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 6:30AM
jannie

I had about 16. Not many little kids around here. Years ago I got 50 to 100 kids. I had 50 goody bags ready. I gave out KitKats and peanut butter cups.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 7:07AM
morz8

About 100, and it was blowing, raining sideways - I was afraid I'd have more leftover candy than I do. There is one box of 48 packages of M&Ms with just a few gone, about 4 hershey bars left.

I had two trick or treaters after 9 PM, one at 9:40! Both girls, by themselves (with mother down on the sidewalk waiting)

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 7:21AM
donna_loomis

Every year the number gets smaller. Last year we had about 25, but by 8:30 last night we had only 3! One was so little he had no idea what Halloween was and Mom had to hold the bag for him. When I opened the door he just walked right in. I'd never seen him before, but he acted like I was granny. He had nothing in his bag, so we were his first stop. Hope he figured it out.

I expect trick-or-treating to go by the wayside very soon, especially with all the crazies in our world today.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 10:09AM
kacram

wow, only 8! Not even the teenagers this year. This is the first year I didn't have a scary porch, my back is killing me. But only 8, I was disappointed!

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 10:12AM
chisue

After years of having between ten and none, we just go dark on Halloween. The homes are too far apart for little legs. (Lots are between one and ten acres.) Last night, despite our being 'dark' two small groups of grammar school age boys rang our bell. I peeked out and saw a *limo* in the street!

In Chicago some safe neighborhoods are inundated by kids from poorer areas. DIL's parents routinely have a thousand children; they recognize a few who are actual neighbors.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 10:23AM
linda_in_iowa

I have never had any here. Last night Finn's mom brought him over so I could see him in his Elmo costume. When they were leaving and I was standing in the doorway, 2 boys came to the door but I told them I don't buy candy since I never get trick or treaters. Told them I was sorry. They were very polite and went on down the street. I then turned the porch light off.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 11:34AM
marilyn_c

Never had any trick or treaters where I live. I live on the end of a dead end road, that turns off of another dead end road, at the end of the road and then down a long driveway. No near neighbors...so never have had any trick or treaters show up. Which is good. I wouldn't be prepared for them. I also don't really like anyone coming down my driveway at night. It is completely dark and most people who do come down here can't back their vehicles straight enough to get back out of here.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 11:42AM
adellabedella_usa

I think we probably had around 100. I think the neighborhood kids invited their friends because I'd only recognize one child or so out of a group. Our neighborhood is growin with lots of newhouses goig in. We weren't able to go to all of the houses this year.

My jack-o-lantern is missing this morning.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 12:02PM
sjerin

I have to check with my neighbor who counts, but I'd say between 75 and 100, not as many as used to come when the family down the street erected a wonderful moving dragon.

Minnie, why was your block dark? No power, or party poopers?

I just love to see all the trick-or-treaters and boy, have they ever gotten to be POLITE--a thank-you from all but one or two, without prompting. The little ones knock my socks off with how cute they and slightly confused they are. :)

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 12:29PM
matti5

I went through 12 1lb bags of candy. First knock was at 6pm and by 7:25pm I had to turn off the lights because I was out of candy. I noticed a lot of cars dropping off several kids. I asked them if they lived in the neighborhood and they said "no". Each year I get more of that.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 12:48PM
chi83

None! I just moved to a new neighborhood last week and I thought for sure we would get a ton. I bought 60 full sized candy bars so we would be popular, haha. Now I either keep them or see if the store will let me return.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 2:44PM
Jodi_SoCal

We got about 40 in our neighborhood. More than recent years.

A neighbor of ours did a "Trunk or Treat" last weekend in the parking lot of a Mormon Church. Everyone decorates their trunks and the kids go from car to car collecting candy. She said about 300 kids showed up.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 3:17PM
joyfulguy

Zero ... oh, but I didn't get home till about 9.

At the end of a fairly long lane, on a rural (paved) road, I've had zero for several years.

At the food pantry at church on Monday, they pulled out a box with some candy, some outdated, that some suspected may have been there since just after Hallowe'en last year. It included a 1/4 pound Lindt-Sprungli chocolate bar, with "Best before Nov. '11" on it, so the two workers decided to open it and eat it. We got part way through it, and they sent the rest home with me.

Overcome by a sense of shame that I was to be the residual recipient of the bonus, as I have little ongoing connection with the pantry, I decided to take it back.

At the food pantry on Wed., Hallowe'en, I apologized for having forgotten to bring the residue of the bar ... but the (different) two ladies said that they wouldn't eat it anyway, as they don't eat outdated food.

Do you figure that I can avoid opening the bar until the next pantry, on Sat., or next Mon??

(I guess it'd be an "open bar" if I did, huh?)

ole joyful

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 3:52PM
Fun2BHere

Zero. The most I've ever gotten is five and that was three years ago.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 4:59PM
mary3444

None, we have live in this house for 15 years & have never had a kid for Halloween. I guess because it is very rural, no street lights, dirt road & very few homes.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 6:28PM
paula_pa

225 - 250. I was almost exactly on the nose with treats. Towards the end I took the peanut stuff from my son's bags that they can't have and added it to what we were giving out and I also brought out a few lollipops from our personal candy stash but at the end I seemed to have left about the same amount that I added. It was just luck - if you had asked me to guess a number I wouldn't have guessed over 200. Thank God I tend to overbuy when it comes to just about anything. We didn't even go the entire 2 hours - the evening came to a natural end about 15 minutes early.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 8:53AM
dollydolots

We had 66. More than usual. I always buy lots and donate the left overs to the Food Bank.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Alisande
Today's Funny
A doctor in St John's Newfoundland wanted to get off...
Jasdip
Thank you Houzz
Received my tape measure today and have already used...
Georgysmom
Just a reminder...
for those who want to help bees and other pollinating...
petra_gw
SNOW
Snowing hard, and every little twig is covered, can't...
susanwv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™