Canadian friends, what are you Thanksgiving plans?

patti43October 5, 2012

Monday is your Thanksgiving, you wise people who have it in October instead of the end of November! What are your plans and what's on your menu? Does your menu change or does your family insist on the same thing every year?

Wishing you a happy day and enjoy your family/friends. I'm grateful for getting to know you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blfenton

Thanks for the good wishes. We have been having gorgeous weather and it is going to hold through for the long weekend which will be nice.

I'm cooking a Turkey dinner on Monday with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, roasted vegies, salad, marinated brussel sprouts and pumpkin pie. Pretty much the same year after year. I am allowed to change the appetizers but not much else. I'm cooking for my husband, my 2 sons and their girlfriends and the 2 grandmas. It's a small group this year but will be more relaxing for me!

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 10:19PM
pickyshopper

Thank you for the good wishes! Our menu selection usually stays pretty much the same over the years. It includes turkey with stuffing and gravy, mashed potatoes, yams, cranberry sauce, some veggies, (usually corn, asparagus, broccoli) dinner rolls and usually pumpkin pie with whipped cream, a cheescake and a fruit pie with ice cream.

We change up some of the veggies, but potatoes, yams and cranberry sauce are a constant, and our cheesecake and fruit pie might change, but the pumpkin pie is ALWAYs on the menu, as it's the favourite.

We do love our Thanksgiving weekend, but I think I'd say that most Canadians tend to make Christmas their priority for the 'must get family together' visit, if visits can't be possible on both holidays. Am I correct in thinking that the Thanksgiving visit is the bigger 'traveling to be with family' visit in the States?

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 10:25PM
luckygardnr

Going over to DD's house. She's doing the turkey, mashed potatoes and a veg. I'm bringing the stuffing and turnip casserole. Her DMil is bringing dessert. A lovely time will be had by all!

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 1:14AM
cherryfizz

Thanks Patti

My older brother called today so I am going to his house on Monday. My younger brother and his daughter will be there as well and hopefully my niece and her husband and kids. They told me not to bring anything but I am going to make some butter tarts

Anne

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 1:55AM
jannie

Must wish my best pal Sue a Happy Thanksgiving, she relocated from NY state to Ottawa!

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 9:12AM
jasdip

Thanks for the good wishes!!
Our Thanksgiving is pretty routine, full of traditional dishes.

I made the mashed potatoes with cream cheese and sour cream, turnip puff, and I'll be doing the dressing in the slow cooker.

I'll pick up the turkey from step-father's, start cooking it here, then take it over there and finish cooking it.
Others are bringing cabbage rolls (SIL allergic to turkey so she makes those), salads, and dessert.

The weather has turned cooler, overcast and supposed to be rainy. That will bring the leaves down quick.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 10:38AM
taigen_gw

Thanks so much for the wonderful wishes :) We are actually doing 2 dinners this year. One was last weekend when our younger son was home and one later today now that our other son is home. Meal stays pretty much the same except for little things like onion in the dressing etc. Going to meet our elder sons girlfriends family for the first time today :)
Wishing everyone a wonderful and safe holiday.
Taigen

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 11:05AM
patti43

Your posts have made me anxious for our Thanksgiving to get here. You will all have such a nice day with wonderful food and family.

Pickyshopper, I don't know which holiday people travel "home" for in the States. Good question! Our family always gathered at Thanksgiving and it's still my favorite holiday.

Cherryfizz, I was wondering if anyone was having butter tarts. They sounds so yummy!

Blfenton, eight people is quite a few--or would be in our little house. Isn't it strange that both our countries have basically the same meal for Thanksgiving? We're all pretty smart--can't think of another meal that tastes better or smells better.

Luckygardnr, you don't look old enough to have a grown daughter!!! Wow, what's your secret?

Jasdip, (Miss Smarty in the top ten on the trivia game :-) I want to make your turnip puff and have the recipe but did you say you made it with rutabaga? I like rutabaga better, but wanted to double-check.

Holy cow, Taigen, you're a better mom than I am. One turkey dinner is enough! I'd be tempted to freeze the leftovers and reheat. That's a lot of work, girl! Good luck with "the meeting" today.

Wish I could be in your kitchens just to sniff today. Guess I just have to wait. Sigh!

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 12:10PM
jasdip

Definitely rutabaga, Patti. The yellow fleshed veggie. I call them both Turnips. Try it, I know you and Harry will love it. :)

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 2:14PM
marilyn_sue

Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends. All of your meals sound really good. I baked a lot of pies today, if I bring some can I come too?

Sue

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 4:04PM
Georgysmom

mmmmmmm it all sounds so good. I'm craving Thanksgiving dinner now. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 4:10PM
luckygardnr

Patti, on my next birthday I'll be 60! DD will be 39, and the GKs will be 7 and 11.

Time flies, but I'm loving every minute of it!

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 4:46PM
Cynic

Stuff yourselves friends! Burp out loud, belch out strong! Enjoy the day while we southerners have our wimpy "Columbus Day"!

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 6:21PM
patti43

Cynic--LOL!

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
Women On 20s
Have you heard of this? There is a movement to replace...
bee0hio
My mother in law passed yesterday
Bless her heart, she fell and her head hit the wall...
PKponder TX
New (in U.S.) Persil laundry detergent
It looks like this brand from Europe was recently introduced...
pammyfay
First one arrived safe and sound
First calf of the season arrived today. Mom and baby...
prairie_rose
Wednesday's Trivia Quiz
A can of Spam is opened every 4 seconds! LOL 6% of...
Jasdip
Sponsored Products
Personalized World Travel Journal
$60.00 | FRONTGATE
Natart | Barcelona Classic Crib
YLiving.com
Blow Mini Wall Sconce by Zaneen
$286.56 | Lumens
Bath Authority DreamLine SlimLine Single Threshold Shower Base (30" by 60")
Modern Bathroom
Natart | Bella Nightstand
YLiving.com
Faded Sky Framed Canvas
Ballard Designs
Thermocast Kitchen Rochester Drop-in Acrylic 25x22x9 2-Hole Single-Bowl Kitchen
Home Depot
Thermocast Kitchen Seabrook Drop-in Acrylic 33x22x9 4-Hole Double Bowl Kitchen
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™