Beef Pot Pie

schoolhouse_gwOctober 9, 2012

Decided to try this today, it took HOURS. I used stew beef which took awhile to get tender, like almost 2.5hrs.(!). Then the pot and carrots seemed to cook forever,and the gravy wouldn't thicken as fast as I thought it should . Plus I cheated and used prepared pie crust instead of making it by scratch like I intended. Anyway, I began this at 2pm. and it just now came out of the oven at 6pm. Whew. By this time I'm not even hungry for it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marie_ndcal

Sure looks good!

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 6:07PM
glenda_al

Bet it will taste as good as it looks!

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 6:08PM
patti43

It looks beautiful, Schoolhouse. I know what you mean about something that takes a long time to make. By the time I'm done in the kitchen, I'm usually tired of smelling/tasting/cooking. If you're really, really tired of it, you can send it to my house :-)

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 6:21PM
marilyn_sue

You can send some of that pie to my house. I have never made a pot pie.

Sue

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 6:37PM
schoolhouse_gw

Thanks all. Well, I had two pieces so it must have been good. hee hee Then at 7pm. I did the 2mile walk with Leslie Sansone on DVD. The back of my legs are burning, lets hope it worked off some of the calories.

I do think the pie needed some seasoning tho besides salt and pepper. Next time I should add? And do those prepared pie crusts have added sugar? I tasted a sweetness, normally I don't add sugar to my pie dough.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 7:40PM
katlan

That looks good enough to eat! I'll take, you don't have to ask me twice.

patti43, I agree. Especially making the big honkin' Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter meals. Don't even feel like eating it after cooking for so long.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 7:40PM
nicole__

I make those all the time. Especially after Thanksgiving, then it's turkey pot pie. :0) I make the pie crust from scratch and use a BIG French crock, it's deeper, holds more. Then I cheat and use a can of mixed vegetables. :0)

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 7:41PM
schoolhouse_gw

Yeah, I have a recipe for a vegetable pie that uses a bag of mix veggies. Real quick and taste good. Would like to find a deep dish like your crock.

I like my crust better even tho I end up making it short with alot of butter. It gets real flaky and melt in your mouth, not exactly a pie dough I guess.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 7:46PM
kayjones

Schoolhouse, would you please post your crust recipe? I am always on the lookout for a tender, flaky, easy-to-make pie crust. THANKS!

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 8:37PM
tami_ohio

Yum! Next time, try using left over beef from a roast. Just season it as you would normally for a roast. I always use store bought crust, and have found that store brand is way better than Pillsbury. I also use frozen veggies. Hmmm, I did a chicken in the crockpot today. Might just borrow your idea!

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 9:29PM
schoolhouse_gw

kayjones, here's the one I use. The recipe is actually for a "Shortcrust Flan Shell" but as I said I use it for most everything. From "English Country Cooking At Its Best" by Caroline Conran.

Makes one 9.5" flan case (or crust):
1 cup flour
3Tbs. self-rising four (if available)
1 cup (2 sticks ) chilled butter

Sieve the two flours together in to a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour with a knife, holding the butter on one hand and carving off thin flakes of butter with the other. Rub the flakes quickly into the flour - stop as soon as the mixture starts to become heavy and clings to your fingers.

Add water - a couple of tablespoons at first and then a little at a time until you can just collect the pastry together into a mass. Form it into a ball, cover and chill for an hour in the refrigerator. To use it, beat it with a rolling pin to loosen it and roll it out on a floured board.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 10:39PM
OnAHolliday

I wouldn't have turned away a plate. I'm a sucker for home made dishes.. even those where a lil' cheatin's going on. *grin*

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 10:45PM
Cynic

I'm surprised at two things:
1) The ingredients list show no sugar or sweeteners that I immediately recognize; and
2) The list *does* include lard!

I've seen pseudo pot pies made using whack-a-tube biscuits and whack-a-tube pizza crust before. I'd think they'd make a decent crust option too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rolled Crust Label

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 12:36AM
jannie

Looks tasty! I sometimes make chicken or beef pot pie filling and put it inside crescent rolls.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 9:23AM
schoolhouse_gw

cynic, I used the "Our Family" brand since it was less expensive and I'm not experienced with using it. After I read your post I just had to pull the box out of the trash to check the ingredients. lol The label mentions "lard and hydrogenated lard" and "sugar"(!). I thought the baked crust tasted sweet. Before baking certain items I will sometimes brush the crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar but not add it directly to the dough.

Tube biscuits would be a time saver ontop of beef stew. I may try those sometime.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 9:33AM
tami_ohio

I forgot to mention yesterday that if you want a deeper pie, but don't have a deeper pie plate, you can use a cast iron skillet.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
Eyeglass Frame Measurement
or many years, I have worn single vision round eyeglasses...
happs
cheryl_okla
Cat with arthritis? Problems moving.
Hi, I posted this on Pets too but I don't know how...
chi83
Thursday's Trivia Quiz
If you're getting bored and less productive at work,...
Jasdip
What kind of tape to use?
We were Freecycled a Stir-Crazy popcorn popper. It...
Jasdip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™