Pfeffernusse Cookies

sandieflOctober 30, 2013

My Jim loves these cookies. We have always had them around the holiday. We were not able to find them last year and so far not this year. I saw where you can order them online but am wondering if you have seen them in your stores.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Georgysmom

I love them! I made them once but they're a lot of work and you have to make them two weeks ahead of time to get the full flavors. I use to buy Stella Doro's...they're very good but no stores in my area carries them since I moved here 16 years ago. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, their pfeffernusse cookies are great!

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 5:57PM
susanjf_gw

I checked the recipe...I don' t think making them is the major problem, but the number of spices could be expensive! cloves, black pepper, nutmeg, anise seed, cardamom...then candied orange peel (1/4 lb) and citron (1/2 lb??)

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 7:38PM
kayjones

I don't think they are on the shelves yet this season - wait until closer to Thanksgiving and Christmas. They are SO GOOD!

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 8:10PM
iowagirl2006

Yuck! LOL!

I remember having them has a kid and thinking "these should not be called cookies" - LOL!

I would probably like them now - but did not like them at all as a young one. The German grandma's all made them. I thought they were pulling a trick on me, trying to get me to eat those nuggets.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 9:10PM
mamatoad

Many years ago, our German friend shared these with us and DH really liked them. The friend gave us his mother's recipe but I've never used it. I believe that Trader Joe's does carry these.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 9:19PM
LuAnn_in_PA

Google lists plenty of sources... including Walmart and Wegmans

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 9:54PM
Georgysmom

There are many different versions of them out there and I've tried many of them.......For me, the two best are Stella Doro and Trader Joe's.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 10:04PM
nanny98

I have an ancient recipe ( from 50+years ago) that does not take any exotic spices or difficulty to make. I do freeze some of the dough and the baked cookie does improve with a more intense anise flavor when 'cured' for a week or more. I will try to locate it... it's been a few years since making them.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 11:13PM
aqr32583

Our Tuesday Morning has these in store now. I didn't purchase so I don't remember the brand name.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 9:49AM
Fun2BHere

I just bought a box at Trader Joe's two weeks ago.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 12:26PM
sandiefl

Thank you for your answers. We don't have a Trader Jo's anywhere close. We do have a Tuesday Morning so we will call them in a few weeks and see if they are carrying them. They are a distance away from us. Jim also loves Mincemeat Pie and we were unable to find them in the stores last year. That is his Thanksgiving memories. I did find a jar of Mincemeat in the store and made him a pie. Guess I will have to do that this year.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 12:55PM
mboston_gw

Archway makes them and usually Publix has them before Thanksgiving. Publix also carries them in their bakery but I prefer
Archways. You might check at the bakery - maybe you can order some ahead of time.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 7:10PM
glenda_al

Betcha World Market carries or will carry them for the holidays.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 7:36PM
pudgeder

My grandmother always made them for the holidays. She called them Peppernuts.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 11:56PM
jannie

This is the one Christmas cookie my Mom always bought, never made. I think the Archway Company makes them. I don't like them myself, too dry.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 8:11AM
cheryl_down_under

I love Pfeffernusse cookies too - they only seem to come out at this time of year. Only last week I was able to buy them at my local Aldi store, so maybe you could try there if you have a store nearby.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 5:58AM
caroline94535

Susan JF - Where did you find the recipe that used both anise and cardamom. I'd like to try that. I found several recipes with either/or but not both spices.

So far I've only found one with the candied peel.

Doesn't this sound like something a diabetic should be cooking? LOL

My kiddos (brothers/nieces/nephews) will love them.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 5:05PM
mboston_gw

Just in case you haven't seen there - both Walmart and Publix have their Archway Christmas Cookie display up this weekend. Picked myself up one box of Pfeffernusse and might get a Gingerbread one next week. Love them this time of year.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
Book of the Week
The sweet life in Paris : delicious adventures in the world’s...
stacey_mb
Hung Jury
Jodi Arias will not get the death penalty.
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Alisande
SNOW
Snowing hard, and every little twig is covered, can't...
susanwv
Thursday evening Dinner
I made chicken parm tonite. I opened a bottle of strained...
Jasdip
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™