Smelly detergents and fabric softner

Momof6October 24, 2012

At times I have found nice tops to wear with my jeans for everyday wear...at the thrift shops...the problem is I can never get the smell of detergent out of them ...no matter how many times they are washed...anyone here have a solution?...I am allergic to those strong smells..headache time...thanks...Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marie_ndcal

Have you an Oxy clean type of cleaner?

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 4:56PM
mary3444

Try washing them in some white vinegar & if you can let dry in the sun, sometimes baking soda will also work.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 5:58PM
tami_ohio

Mary, put them in a bag with regular charcoal in it. Seal it up and leave it for about a week. Put the charcoal in a recycled butter dish or cool whip bowl with a few holes poked it in so the charcoal doesn't get on the clothes. Just DON'T use the self-lighting charcoal. In a week, you will be able to wear the clothes.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 10:43PM
marilyn_sue

20 Mule Team Borax might help. It says on the box it is also for removing odors. Hanging out in the sun is also a good tip.

Sue

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 6:15AM
jannie

Hang them outside on a sunny, preferably windy, day.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 6:51AM
jasdip

I feel your pain. I don't get headaches, but I only use unscented products.........Love the homemade laundry detergent!!!

Hubby gets a headache and my eyes burn walking down the laundry aisle in the grocery store! I don't want to be smelling like that, thank you very much. Thankfully they moved the pet food to another aisle, so now we don't need to go there.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 9:04AM
arkansas_girl

Vinegar! I once answered someone that was asking this question about stinky towels that would not stop stinking, they had gotten soured and she couldn't get rid of the smell. I mentioned vinegar and she used it and it worked. That's what I'd do, soak it some too!.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 9:09AM
chisue

A lot of people would be amazed at the soap (and 'softener') that comes out in the wash water when you run a load of wash with no soap and just some white vinegar. I routinely use a little vinegar in the rinse *instead* of softener.

I never understood the concept of coating clean wash with something. (Feel the same way about air 'fresheners'.) My clothes get soft enough for me in the dryer. My towels are absorbent, not slick with 'softener'. I don't use liquid detergent either because it has additives that build up in the washer. I know most liquid soaps and lotions contain preservatives; presume that's true of liquid laundry detergents.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 10:06AM
sheilajoyce_gw

Good info, Chisue. Also, fabric softener does not come out with just one laundering. It takes a few washes to get it out, but I bet the vinegar would help make that happen faster. Add a cup of white vinegar to the rinse water.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 1:36PM
jkayd_il5

I read somewhere, I think on the laundry forum, to add water to your fabric softner. I buy a container of softner, I use the unscented Downy, and pour half into the old bottle and then add water to both. Now you have two bottles for the price of one. In my opinion you get the same softness from the watered down softner.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 2:03PM
kacram

alot of times you can soak it in water with baking soda dissolved in it

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 3:02PM
vicki7

I found a nice shirt for my grandson in a thrift store, and after I got it home I realized from the smell it must have come from a home full of smokers. I sealed it up in a plastic bag with lots of baking soda, left it for 2 days, and ALL the cigarette smell was gone. I don't know if it'll work as well for perfumed detergent odor, but it's worth a try. I always use unscented detergent, I cannot stand the incredibly strong smell of the perfumed ones. Seems like they put double the amount of fragrance they did years ago.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 3:13PM
kacram

I also don't want lavender scented dish soap. I had a hard time the other day... lemon or orange is okay, but the one I wanted didn't have it! lol lavendar, mountain fresh, blech! I don't want scented dish soap either! lol

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 4:02PM
Momof6

Thanks everyone for your informative responses...I did use vinegar and it helped some...but will try again with some of your suggestions...thanks again ...Mary

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 10:47PM
OklaMoni

Earlier this year, I had toss a top I got at goodwill. It smelled even after several soakings in strong vinegar solution, and then a couple of weeks on the clothes line.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
How do I stop email notifications?
Can't figure it out, but it's annoying. I don't need...
sleeperblues
Should I feel guilty?
For being at tkt all day at work? I get bored when...
lisaw2015
Anyone get their Houzz gift?
I just received mine today, very cool!
chi83
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Wednesday's Trivia Quiz
Many of you got the right answer but DEES was the first...
Jasdip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™