Too much FWD email!

socksOctober 18, 2013

My dear neighbor continues to send me forwarded emails, you know the stuff I'm talking about, a couple a day. Some has Asian writing, and now I'm getting all Asian emails from Hilton Hotels. I don't have the heart to tell her to stop as she has troubles in her life. If I block her, will the emails bounce back and she will know I blocked her? I use Mozilla Thunderbird and Earthlink. I know I can block with Earthlink, not sure how anything like that works with Thunderbird. I wish they just could go in a junk file and that way I would not see them and she would not know.

We wave at each other across the street, but rarely chat.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LuAnn_in_PA

" I wish they just could go in a junk file and that way I would not see them and she would not know."

They can... just set up a filter and you will never see them again!

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 4:38PM
marie_ndcal

Approx what age is this woman? You call her your dear neighbor, but then mention you rarely chat--so I would maybe invite her either to coffee or if you don't want her in your home--for any reason, meet outside (at a cafe or?)for coffee etc and just tell her that your really are not interested in getting forwards. But if she has some informative news you would be glad to receive that or any cute jokes to share that is ok. Is she lonely? by herself? Personally I rarely forward anything unless I think they might really be interested.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 4:41PM
kathyg_in_mi

Mark it as Spam and it will go to your Spam folder. That's how Yahoo works.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 4:58PM
socks

Marie--yes I see it doesn't make sense. She's a dear neighbor because we were close when our kids were young and we were together often with the children. I don't know what I would have done without neighborhood friendships! Kids are grown and gone now. So we don't visit with each other much, but I still consider her a good friend.

I'll check out filtering. Thanks.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 5:15PM
JoAnn_Fla

put this in all your email to her

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 6:19PM
YogaLady1948

I have a GF that loves to send forwards~~~I just delete them. Once she asked is I got one she thought was really funny, and I told her honestly I do not read them. No biggie she quit sending them~~~once in awhile she will say 'hey, I know you do not like fwds, but this is really cute' I just delete it;)

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 6:31PM
SnidelyWhiplash

If she were throwing garbage or dog poop over your fence every day, would you say something? What she's doing is the electronic equivalent of the same.

Dear friends can tell dear friends when their actions aren't welcome.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 6:40PM
shea

I don't think this can be equated with garbage or dog poop. She is sending them because she thinks you will enjoy them as much as she did. You don't need to read them, just click delete and they are gone. If it's only two a day, with 2 clicks your problem is solved, and without hurt feelings.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 7:56PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Ugh, a friend started sending me all sorts of stuff that she also sent to her kids. For some she even used her DHs email address. Most were very political, but some were interesting quotes or facts, she thought. Lots of stuff--it grew to 8 to 10 a day. I just deleted them. I thought she was emailing me all that junk, but her husband died suddenly, and I have not received any such emails since then!

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 10:56PM
Georgysmom

I agree with Shea. A couple of clicks and they are gone without hurting any feelings. Other than that, just mark her E-mails as spam and they will go directly into the trash.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 12:02PM
SnidelyWhiplash

Two experiences - a friend started forwarding to me copies of (what to me was) extreme religious stuff that he's active with. After a few weeks of annoyance, I started replying to his emails with questions for him- saying stuff like "Do you really believe this baloney", or "Don't you find this argument silly", or "This contradicts xxxx", or whatever. Pretty ironical, I think he got tired of getting my emails, so he stopped sending the junk to me.

Another person, who I think subscribes to every dumb joke email list that exists, started forwarding stuff to me. After a few days, I emailed him simply saying that I get too many daily emails to deal with, could he please take me off the mailing list.

I don't think either person was hurt and the unwanted emails stopped. Maybe this is a male/female thing, I prefer to take an active approach to solve issues rather than a passive one.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 12:54PM
socks

I like your suggestion--"I get too many emails, so take me off your list." Add on that I'd love to hear from you otherwise.

It's easy to delete those emails, but I'm afraid of what might be riding along with them, especially since I started getting the Hilton Hotel promotions, in Chinese.

Thanks.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 5:55PM
socks

OK, two more came today, so I felt I'd had my limit and emailed her nice and sweet, updated her on a little family news and asked about her kids. I am happy.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
What's for Dinner, Tuesday?
A gorgeous day today, spring might be here to stay. I...
Jasdip
Monday's Trivia Quiz
A new survey found that almost 25% of married couples...
Jasdip
Fascinating macro images of coral
from The Guardian (UK)
Alisande
If you want a really good movie.....
....may I suggest "McFarland". I group of...
phoggie
Wednesday's Trivia Quiz
A can of Spam is opened every 4 seconds! LOL 6% of...
Jasdip
Sponsored Products
Lenox Silver Bouquet Teacup - 815186
$45.00 | Hayneedle
A & L Furniture Western Red Cedar Marlboro Garden Bench - 471C-UNFINISHED
$512.00 | Hayneedle
Copley Swivel Chair - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Rattan paper tray
Origin Crafts
Mies Bed Pony Skin
| Italy Design