Anyone have an infrared heater?

KathsgrdnOctober 23, 2012

I'm going to buy something for the back bedroom. It's freezing cold back there all the time. I bought a heated mattress pad the other day but I hate getting up out of bed into an ice cold room. There was an advertisement in the local paper for infrared heaters and wondering if they're any good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susie53_gw

We have one and love it..

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 11:56AM
Kathsgrdn

Have you had it long, Susie?

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 12:03PM
sushipup1

We had one about 15 years ago and it wasn't worth the money.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 12:03PM
susie53_gw

A couple years. It does well for us. We also have had one of the ones that looks like the old time radiators and we like it, too. Two of our kids have had them for several years and they like them, too.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 12:14PM
nodakgal

We have 2 and love them both!

A Comfort Zone and a Dura Flame.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comfort Zone

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 12:32PM
alisande

I'm not familiar with infrared, but I use portable electric oil-filled radiators in my unheated bedrooms. They're silent, have thermostats and a choice of wattages, and do a great job. I paid under $50 apiece for them a few years ago.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 1:15PM
nodakgal

We have one of those radiators too. Used it before the infrared. They work pretty good! We set a small fan behind the radiator on low to blow the heat out.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 1:37PM
Hunter137

Use one occasionally, most important benefit is the safety e.g. compared to other ceramic heaters the outside of this one stays cool.

The energy consumption will be the same as any other heater with similar wattage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Infrared Heater DR-968

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 10:27AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

We had one for mom when she lived in her house, we wanted something safe including carbon monoxide safe, keep in mind some of those other types of portable heaters available can produce carbon monoxide. Years ago we had one of the portable ones that would set off the alarms, it went to the dump.
I would definitely check online reviews for any you are considering because there are some with really horrible reviews that I would stay away from.
Also be aware of the fact that they draw a lot of electricity to run and in some cases the plug and outlet can get very hot which can be dangerous.
Do your homework and check the various types and real reviews by owners.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 1:37PM
linda_in_iowa

You are going to love your electric mattress pad. Turn it on high about 15 minutes before getting in bed. Be sure to turn it down once you get in bed. I forgot one night and woke up a couple of hours later all sweaty.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 2:24PM
cheri2008

I have 2 of the duraflame heaters... have had them for about 5 years. We have been very happy with them. We have one in our bedroom, and one in the living room.
We have gas furnace, but have been able to turn the therostat lower, and use these heaters to just take off the chill in the room. We turn the one on in the living room when we are in the room, watching T.V. , or reading in the evenings, then a few mins. before bed time, I turn the one in our bedroom on. and of course the one in the living room is off for the night.
We have had no issues with them at all... it is important that you clean the filter, but that is simple.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 2:29PM
cheri2008

Just to add... the duraflame use very little electricity...

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 2:31PM
angelaid

We have one on each of the lower three levels of the house. It really breaks the chill in the winter. We only have pellet heat and we're getting to old to haul a ton of pellets down two flights of stairs each month any more. And pellets were getting way more expensive than running those three electric heaters.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Robert Herjavec of Shark Tank, Divorcing
How sad. I genuinely really like this guy. He's kind...
Jasdip
What's for Dinner, Wednesday?
I marinated a couple of boneless chicken breasts in...
Jasdip
Will it be a break, fracture or sprain?
Will find out at 11:10, Tuesday, if it is one of the...
glenda_al
Which do you handle better, excessive heat or cold?
If you had to choose to either be uncomfortably hot...
pickyshopper
I finally finished!!!
Year End is DONE!!! Took 4 days, about 3 days longer...
prairie_rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™