Why do bugs never bother with lettuce?

OnAHollidayOctober 11, 2012

I've just returned from picking a few varieties of lettuce for dinner tonight and, again, not a problem. I have never had a problem with pests bothering my lettuce. All I can think is that the cooler season puts lettuce out of range of what would normally be around to feast on it? Still, it seems to me that something would show up. Maybe I should knock on wood and simply be happy about it.

On another note. Is it my imagination or does lettuce picked on chilly mornings and wet from the dew taste better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisande

This year for the first time my small lettuce crop (romaine and leaf lettuce) was destroyed by little caterpillars. I looked them up at the time, but I don't remember the name. My son's large lettuce crop (same varieties) a couple of hundred feet away was not affected. So cross your fingers for next year. :-)

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 11:27AM
OnAHolliday

I will alisande. I also grow romaine (red and green). I also grow bibb and black seeded simpson. That may sound like a lot but it's only four double rowed beds about 15 feet long.

Maybe they were cabbage loopers? I think that's the official name for them? I had those on my collards one year.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 11:40AM
marie_ndcal

We tried lettuce again this year--was bitter and cool summer and now with several killing frost and bit of snow, no garden. We did have good luck 2 years ago. Just a off year for lots this year.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 1:20PM
OnAHolliday

Geez, sorry marie. I spend so much time in the garden it would be rough to lose a season. I admit that the season is dang long in Georgia so the odds of that are about nil. I hope you fare better next spring. :)

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 1:38PM
petaloid

Something is munching on our basil. :-(

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 2:25PM
kayjones

Check for snails and slugs - they love green leaves of any type. After many years of gardening, I'm still trying to discover the use GOD intended when he gave us snails and slugs!

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 10:19PM
OnAHolliday

Escargot? *wink*

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 10:22PM
jemdandy

The best tasting lettuce is new, young leaves. The taste of older leaves shift toward bitter.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 1:35AM
More Discussions
How to express sorrow at this late date?
I just found out a former neighbors daughter was killed...
josephene_gw
Found a new BBC series on Netflix
Land Girls is about the British women who signed up...
pam_25f
Dinner at 8 (#4)
Tonights celebrity guest is Julia Child. What do you...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Time zone change?
I looked briefly but cannot find where to change my...
missy_may_gw
A new Random Letters game
Remember this one? You post a string of 6-7 random...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™