Middle of the night Post Office delivery ?

monica_paOctober 12, 2012

We didn't get any mail yesterday, nor our neighbors. We are in a built up large suburb.

Last night, around 10PM (after the debate), I looked out at the mail box, and no flag was up.

Woke up early this morning, and Voila! US Post Office mail delivery!

Used to get mid morning delivery, now it's been into the afternoon - but, in the middle of the night?

When is your mail delivered?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyg_in_mi

Are you sure it wasn't delivered by a neighbor after they realized your mail was in their box? We have that happen every so often.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:44AM
monica_pa

No, Kathy - Everyone got their mail in the middle of the night.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:48AM
kathyg_in_mi

Crazy! I'd ask the post office "what's up?"

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:54AM
jannie

My local P O sometimes makes "extra" deliveries around Christmas. I'll bring in a bunch of mail at ten am and there's another boxful at three. But I never ever got a delivery at night.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 10:50AM
chloecat

We quite often get our mail between 8 & 9pm. Other times, as early as 8am.

The postal service's service isn't so great. In fact, our carrier quite often skips our street altogether, bringing two or three days' mail all at once. We've talked to our postmaster, but he says "that happens sometimes."

And they wonder why they're going broke...

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 10:52AM
chisue

Our mail often arrives around 1 p.m. It's just as likely to come after sundown -- or not at all. No midnight deliveries here...yet. I'd say we receive about a third as much mail as we did in years past; less to recycle.

No one here uses the mailbox flag. I never put outgoing mail in our mailbox. (Anti-theft measures.)

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 11:02AM
sandiefl

Our mail is getting later every day. Especially on Monday. The other day the mailman came by and we got nothing.About 8PM they came back and did our street again.The Post Office is downsizing.In fact our regualar PO is moving and we will have only one in T'ville.So the Drivers have to double up on the deliveries.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 11:54AM
RuthieG__TX

It has happened to us as well. It usually means the carrier was off and another carrier had to deliver two routes...or they had transportation issues.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 12:16PM
lowspark

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

I guess they mean it!

I don't know what time our mail arrives because I'm at work all day. I get home at 430ish and it's there waiting.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 12:25PM
linda_in_iowa

I never know if ours will be delivered in the morning or late afternoon. We had a ditzy carrier for a couple of years, her name was Bambi. She would often deliver the mail after dark using a flashlight and frequently put it in the wrong mail boxes. I used to complain to the carrier supervisor frequently.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 12:33PM
ellendi

Things have changed for us. For years we had the same mailman, and when he moved on, we knew the next one. Now, they keep shifting the mail carriers. Not sure who is delivering or when it will be delivered.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 1:45PM
marie_ndcal

If you are having serious troubles, talk to the Postal Inspectors. They do want to know. You will have to go to a larger PO to request one.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 8:42PM
lisa_fla

Ours delivered one night this week at 7:30 pm! Its been after 5 pm for a while now.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Job Opening
Sure wish someone would apply!!!
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
Wine & Painting Classes
Is this a local phenomenon, or are these wine &...
party_music50
Chi83's wedding
Chi83 -- I was remiss in not wishing you and your hubby...
Lindsey_CA
Trade Deadline Day
Or, THE MOST BORING 8 hours of TV in the year. Yet...
prairie_rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™