"Truth" in advertising

alisandeSeptember 12, 2012

We've talked about those ads for anti-aging beauty products that show airbrushed models (sometimes young airbrushed models), and mascara ads illustrated with photos of models wearing false eyelashes. Here's another one that bugs me:

"Only Sleepy's has the most comfortable mattresses in the world!"

How can they get away with making such a statement? I'm surprised Hastens or one of the other ultra-luxury European mattress companies hasn't squashed them like a bug.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OklaMoni

There is only "their truth" in their advertising!!!!

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:37PM
jannie

And why on earth are most clothing models shaped like sticks? So the clothes can "hang" loosely , rather than falling along normal body curves.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 9:10AM
dedtired

I've been looking for a new car and visiting the dealer sites. One Honda dealer's site says "Only a Honda is a Honda".

Talk about truth in advertising, what could be more true or self apparent than that statement? Every time I see it I scratch my head and think yeah, and only a Toyota is a Toyota, only a BMW is a BMW, etc. What is their point?

I am skeptical of all advertising claims (except that a Honda is a Honda).

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 9:27AM
maxmom96

I've been intrigued by several TV ads that claim their products contain "Real ingredients".In my book, an ingredient is an ingredient, whether it's good or bad. If it's not a real ingredient, does that mean it's not there?

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 11:11AM
alisande

LOL I haven't heard that one, Maxmom.....the food manufacturers must be getting desperate.

I notice some peanut butter manufacturers are putting "Natural" on their label. To me, natural peanut butter contains peanuts. Or peanuts and salt. That's it. How can a peanut butter be "natural" when it contains sugar and palm oil? And possibly other ingredients?

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 11:16AM
chisue

How about the smarmy PAC ads for or against a candidate that list the sponsor as some made-up "Committee for the Good of Mankind"? LOL

The clout-heavy Chicagoans who want to reap public funds with their 'non profit' charter schools just started a TV ad slamming the teachers' union for striking. The ad is funded by some goodie-goodie-sounding group like 'People for Education'. You'd never know they're in it for the money to be made.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 11:52AM
alisande

Oh, it's true, Chisue. That kind of thing bugs me, too.

"Paid for by The Citizens Who Want to Put the A Back in America." LOL

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 11:58AM
emma

I saw a documentary on truth in advertising Years ago and the advertisers have to tell the truth and the government does enforce it. If a company is advertising chocolate syrup and they show a sundae covered with the syrup, the syrup has to be real, the other ingredients don't have to be. They can use words that can mislead consumers. An example of how smart the companies are is that they will put Nature on herbs and other products and the consumer actually thinks/sees "natural". Kelloggs is being investigated or was for advertising blue berries in their products when there are none. There are purple clumps of sugar in one form or another, that's it. I don't know how that turned out.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 12:30PM
chisue

You talkin' to me, yur fellow 'merican?

We enjoy listening to "Under the Influence" on PBS radio. It's on Saturdays at 6:30 a.m. here in Chicago. I think you can find it on Pirate Radio online. It's an amusing show about the advertising business.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 12:31PM
sheilajoyce_gw

A relative is a film editor for commercials. He talks of the before and after shots of people who have lost weight on Jenny Craig. They take the after picture and stretch it taller to make the person look thinner.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 1:36PM
alisande

Oh, no! The after pics have prettier hair, nicer smiles, etc., but I never suspected that!

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 3:45PM
marie_ndcal

I have been using the mute button so much lately for political ads that I have not paid much attention to the ""real"" advertising. Some of the ads are cute like the Meow Meow Meow with the cats and some of the local stuff, except where they are yelling, and I keep threatening to go into one dealer and shout as loud as I can? Can you show me a car???? or something to that fact.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 4:47PM
emma

Ah, Marie I remember those ads. Another reason not to miss TV. LOL

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 5:55PM
emma

Ah, Marie I remember those ads. Another reason I do not miss TV. LOL

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 5:56PM
jannie

A guy named Barnum said there was a sucker born every minute. Do I really think those "As sold on TV" gadgets work? No.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 6:46AM
emma

I did not hit the submit button 3 times.??????

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
Did everyone send out their swap gifts?
Just checking, only a few days left.
JoAnn_Fla
Airline pilots and antidepressants
As of five years ago, airline pilots are allowed to...
Alisande
Am I the only one?
Am I the only one who isn't able to see *any* snow-free...
party_music50
What's for Dinner ... Sunday
I doesn't look like anyone has started this thread...
bob_cville
Drapes, 84 or 98?
Do you prefer your drapes hung near the ceiling (98)...
lucillle
Sponsored Products
Sonneman | Lina Table Lamp
$390.00 | YLighting
Authentic Models Gee-Bee Squadron Mobile
Classic Hostess
Girl with Ball by Roy Lichtenstein
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Egg Chair
Design Within Reach
Florio Cinzano Wall Art
Grandin Road