Saying Good-Bye to.....

kfca37September 18, 2013

Summer Fruit is hard for me. I really don't care for fall/winter fruit, apples, pears, pumpkin (is that really fruit?), persimmons. I've been baking & eating out of hand peaches & nectarines, had some great raspberries at a good price and a wonderful watermelon a couple days ago. Will probably be ending my trips to local farmers' markets soon til next spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monica_pa

I'm in the same funk.
My breakfast is always a bowl of fresh cut fruit...green grapes, bananas and cantelope in the spring....and bananas, cantelope and watermelon during the summer. Winters are whatever i can get, but it must be fresh...not canned or frozen.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 9:29PM
susanjf_gw

or pay the price for imported fruits...

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 10:29PM
lily316

I agree. I don't like summer ,but I DO love the fruit and veggies. 80% of my diet is fruit or veggies, and the prices are already going up. I buy fresh, so now I'll be getting stuff from Brazil. Washington cherries ended a few weeks ago. I love them. Apples are one of my least favorite fruits. I love all berries and will have to pay the price I guess. $2 a pint of blueberries will soon go up to $4 a 1/2 pint.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 2:58AM
heather_on

Sigh! Back to tasteless tomatoes.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 7:38AM
juellie1962

I agree heather! It's so nice going outside my door and picking fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants and peppers! Basil too! YUM.....back to cardboard tasting stuff. :(

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 7:40AM
bigfoot_liz

that is the beauty of living in FL! it may suck from June thru Aug (thou this yr was quite nice running normal temps + lots of rain) and few veggies or fruit will grow (usually too high night time temps prevent fruit formation) but we are putting in our fall-winter tomatoes & garden now. I ALWAYS love to tell the "keep it local" crowd to enjoy their garden in Dec & Jan LOL ;-)) We have truely become a very spoiled nation when we can access fresh fruits & veggies from around the world, out of season in this country.

If you can find Tastee tomatoes they are a newer FL mass production variety that has a better shelf taste. FYI you might be interested & quite shocked by the tomato industry in FL down in Naples...a good book on modern day tomato industry is out too. ~ liz

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 8:13AM
jel48

I always miss the summer vegetables and fruits too, even though I love all the fall veggies a LOT and enjoy the apple and pumpkin deserts too! I do eat raw apples year around, and like them, but they're not even in the same category as melon, berries, etc... And tomatoes.... I miss summer tomatoes so much!!

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 8:15AM
jannie

I think my local groceries import fruit from Mexico and South America because I see fruit all year round. But the local stuff is winding down. I'm seeing less and less of everything at my nearby Farmers Market. I'm in Long Island NY.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 8:59AM
lily316

I have been gorging on tomatoes from our garden of 15 plants. They're quite plentiful, but when they're gone I will never eat another till next summer.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
5 word game
Start with a word and from that word create 5 new words...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Another Appliance Rant
I'm expanding on Georgysmom's thread about the dead...
chisue
Thursday's Trivia Quiz
If you're getting bored and less productive at work,...
Jasdip
Thursday evening Dinner
I made chicken parm tonite. I opened a bottle of strained...
Jasdip
Should I feel guilty?
For being at tkt all day at work? I get bored when...
lisaw2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™