uncooked brownie dilemma

satine_gwSeptember 17, 2013

Help-I took a pan of brownies out of the oven about 30 minutes ago and just now realized that they are not cooked. Is there anything I can do to save them??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones

Sure! Reheat your oven FIVE degrees less than before and continue baking them, checking them every 5 minutes until they're done. I would put foil over the top of the pan, so the top doesn't cook any more.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 4:35PM
donna_loomis

I saw your other post regarding the undercooked brownies and responded there.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 4:47PM
chi83

If you don't think it baked high enough to be safe (I don't think fudgy brownies are a bad thing unless there's still raw egg), then I would just cut out the middle and discard it, and eat the rest.

I think baking it again would cause most of it to become overbaked and dry.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 5:09PM
cate52

Overbaked & dry brownie crumbs make an excellent topping for ice cream!!

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 5:20PM
donna_loomis

I like Cate's idea!

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 6:49PM
jel48

It's too late now, because I think your other post said you were planning on having them for desert last night.. but I made a brownie trifle (a couple of times) during the past few weeks and the cooked part around the edge would have worked great for that... brownies, but just presented a little differently.

Cut the cooked part in 1 inch squares. Put some on the bottom of a glass dish. Add a layer of fudge instant pudding. Then a layer of whipped topping, then repeat. I topped mine with the whipped topping layer with crushed toffee sprinkled on top (the kind you buy like chocolate chips, for cookies, etc) but it would also have been good topped with bittersweet chocolate shavings, or any one of a number of other things, just to make it a little prettier then leaving the plain topping. It makes a very beautiful, elegant desert and people think you put a lot of work into it :-)

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 10:08AM
Pooh Bear

Just give me the whole pan and a spoon.
I'll take care of the problem right away.

Pooh Bear

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 10:37AM
linda_in_iowa

That happened to me when I made brownies to take to church soup supper. I put them in my convection oven to cook longer. I didn't realize the dial on the convection had been set to 400! After they cooled, I had difficulty cutting them but I still took them with me. Afterwards, I found most of them still left in the dish. I couldn't even bite into one.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 12:30PM
bengardening

Pooh bear you better share some of that with me. I love brownie batter and have never had any problems from eating it. I always undercook my brownies. A 9x13 pan I only bake 18 minutes. I hate hard dry brownies.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 10:38PM
teresava

Don't you test the pan when you take it out of the oven? Stick a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, they are done.

Speaking of...Have you guys ever seen the product, Brownie Brittle by Shelia G?? They are wonderful! Tastes like a brownie, but in a very thin and crispy wafer. Not all the stores carry it-I've seen them at Wegman's and Wal-mart. Costco carries it also, but I am afraid to have such a large bag in my house! I'd eat the WHOLE thing!

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 10:57PM
jannie

I personally LIKE over-cooked brownies. They have a nice crunch. And if they are really dry, they are great dunked in coffee. So I'd just turn on the oven and cook them some more-checking every 5 minutes. You don't want charcoal!

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 8:54AM
satine_gw

Problem solved. After recooking the brownies for a total of 12 minutes I simply cut around the perimeter, chucked the rest of the pan. GD (3) ate one, her brother (2) ate one and the rest are history. Oh well, there is a first time for everything. Satine

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 11:33AM
joyfulguy

Hi Pooh Bear,

After you stick your spoon into the pan ...

... and lift it ...

... do you say, "Batter up!"?

ole joyful

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 2:53PM
Pooh Bear

LOL @ Joyful......

I've been eating raw cake and brownie batter since I was real little.
Used to be a treat to lick the mixing bowl. I have never had a problem with it.

Pooh Bear

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 3:03PM
joyfulguy

Yeah - lickin' the mixin' bowl's fun!

o j

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Houzz, no moving forum?
Having trouble getting myself motivated. Need to clean...
josephene_gw
Should I feel guilty?
For being at tkt all day at work? I get bored when...
lisaw2015
Amazing Aunt Audrey
A new Random Letters game
Remember this one? You post a string of 6-7 random...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Cat with arthritis? Problems moving.
Hi, I posted this on Pets too but I don't know how...
chi83
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™