Speaking of Cauliflower

mammie15September 28, 2012

I really like it this way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cauliflower

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

Sounds good.

We just do cauliflower cut into 1" pieces and then I melt cheese on top and stir it in.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 3:14PM
marilyn_c

I like it roasted too. Love it just about anyway it is fixed, but I usually just cook it until a little bit tender and eat it with butter.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 4:01PM
mammie15

I love it anyway too, even just raw.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 4:44PM
lazypup

I have never found a way to fix it that I don't like:

Chunks of raw califlower, broncholi and carrots with my home made ranch dressing for dipping.

Bite size pieces battered and deep fried as an apetizer (serve along with deep fried mushrooms and deep fried cheddar cheese)

Boiled until tender, then drain and serve with butter or cheese sauce.

But my favorite is to put chunks of califlower, brocholi, carrots, potatoes (and sometimes cabbage) in the steamer. Toss in a couple whole keilbasa or a mess of keilbasa chunks, or even chunks of ham and steam until the veggies are tender. That makes a whole meal in about 20min cooking time, with a minimum effort.

Now if I am feeling more ambitious I get out my antique cookbooks from the early 1800's and make creamed califlower, califlower soup or even califlower pie.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 5:49PM
cherryfizz

I love cauliflower any way I can get it but my favourite is pureed cauliflower. Steam the florettes, add some warm milk, butter, fresh garlic or garlic powder and puree all together until smooth. I eat this instead of mashed potatoes. It is so good I can easily eat the entire pot.

Anne

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 5:59PM
JeanInWa

I love frosted cauliflower:

trim and rinse the whole head and put it in a microwave safe casserole with a lid. Nuke for about ten minutes. While it's cooking, mix up about 1/2 cup of mayo and a good couple TBLS of mustard. When the cauliflower is done, spread this mixture all over it, then sprinkle liberally with shredded cheese. Put the lid back on and nuke for just a minute or two to melt the cheese.

If there's any left....I use it to make cream of cauliflower soup.

I'm thinking a head of cauliflower is going on my grocery list for tomorrow.....

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 9:06PM
alisande

Mammie, that recipe looks so good! Lemon-tahini sauce....yum!

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 12:05AM
jannie

I like cauliflower. Does everyone know you can sometimes buy purple or orange cauliflower?

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 7:55AM
cynic

I like cauliflower many ways. Raw by itself or with a dip. Steamed to a mashed potato consistency, and is a great potato substitute. But I also like the medley of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower mixed in with bacon and sausage and let it fry a bit in the fat and then steam a bit too. I'm not a big fan of the cheese sauces on vegetables though.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 5:23PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

One of the first soups I'll fix later this fall will be cream of cauliflower. I usually add smoked sausage to it and cheese. It's a favorite, but we both love it no matter how it's fixed....including raw.

My soup is made just like cream of potato soup...with onions, celery, and carrots cooked in a good chicken broth or stock then heavy cream added at the end.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
Chi83's wedding
Chi83 -- I was remiss in not wishing you and your hubby...
Lindsey_CA
First this, and then . . .
I hope this will be my last winter whine. Yesterday...
Alisande
Do you belive "It's better to have loved and lost..." ?
Reflecting on my past, I had a love back in my twenties,...
pickyshopper
Sandie's husband died yesterday. :(
I hate to tell you all this, but here's my email from...
Granlan TX
What did you do, during the recent cold and snow?
I shoveled, I baked, I baked and I recovered chair...
OklaMoni
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™