A spell checker that also checks grammer

ravencajun Zone 8b TXSeptember 12, 2012

I saw this mentioned on Kim Komando and thought it looked interesting and helpful plus it is free which is always good. It works with lots of programs and does work with both IE And Firefox. It is called Ginger here is the link to the page of the FAQ so you can read about it. I just installed it so don't know much yet.

Ginger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones

Thanks! I've just downloaded it and will see hw it works. I intentionally mis-spelled 'how' and it didn't correct it - maybe I did something wrong. Have you used it Raven? If so, what is your suggestion to make it do what is was designed to do?

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 2:21PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

You will have to restart firefox for it to work, yes it does work it is not always exactly correct but what is lol.

I was waiting for someone to say something about the misspelled grammer in the title which I did on purpose of course lol I thought that was funny.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 5:27PM
phyllis__mn

I have installed it on IE, and it works! I intentionally typed "she don't care", and it corrected that. I think one has to highlight what should be checked.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 9:08AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

For mine I put the cursor right in front of the section of text I want it to check then hit the ginger button and the corrections show up at the top of my screen where I can either check to accept it or ignore.
In fact I just used it, I had started the previous sentence with a small f instead of a F it corrected it.
It does take some extra steps of course.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 3:57PM
FlamingO in AR

I noticed and laughed about "grammer" but didn't say anything because someone did that to me once, over the same word. I'm glad to know you did it on purpose. :)

I had made a post about bad grammar and was reprimanded for my spelling. It was a little funny at the time.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 4:29PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I do remember that! I have done it myself a few times. I know I am far from perfect LOL I can use all the help I can get.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 5:01PM
emma

I hope it is better than "correct as you type" in MS Word. It was about to drive me crazy. After Googling I found "correct as you type" in word and took every check mark out. It's not that my grammar was so bad, but it inserted lines if you use 2 or more dashes that you could not remove and I was trying to type a list and I used dashes to keep them in line. Grrr

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 5:54PM
jemdandy

As with the best of spell checkers, if the mispelled word happens to form a different, but real word, it will not be flagged. The grammar checker might flag such a word only if it violates a rule of grammar. The grammar checker can not flag a spurious word if the grammar is correct no matter how nonsensical the result.

The value of using both checkers in tandem is that many common mistypes and misspellings can be flagged, however, one must yet remain viligent. This automation has not progressed to the level of 100% accuracy.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 1:29AM
maxmom96

I will add this to my list of things that I wish could be implanted in a person's body. Wouldn't it be refreshing to be able to listen to a supposedly educated young person talking and not have to wince at what they are saying? I do know we're all guilty of some form of bad grammar, some a lot more than others.

What I've also thought would be nice would be to have some Velcro implanted at strategic spots on your body. I could have used some to hold up my knee-highs when I was a kid, to hold up my strapless gown, to keep my bra straps from sliding off my shoulders. . .the uses would be endless.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 10:56AM
emma

Don't be to quick to judge a person for bad grammar, especially if the person is older like a lot of us. Finding words sometimes is very difficult as you age. My husband has AZ and he lost nouns so eventually he couldn't speak to others at all. Also people with dyslexia and other problems can't speak well. You have no idea how long it takes me to compose an email or a post in these forums, partly because of proof reading so I will not offend anyone and I don't have any of the above problems. I am just old as dirt. I have learned in forums that you can speak just a few words and you will be judged forever as one you don't want to be friendly with.

On a lighter note, I found when raising small children you lose some of your grammar skills. For instance one child used the word "gots" as in I gots lots of candy. Pretty soon all the parents were saying "gots". LOL

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Which do you handle better, excessive heat or cold?
If you had to choose to either be uncomfortably hot...
pickyshopper
Site of the Day Mar 4
The Compliment Machine - do you need a compliment today?...
caseynfld
Rant about dog rescue
So I look at the form for a German Shepherd rescue....
ronminsouthga
Update On Husband
My husband is now in the Heart Center and has been...
marilyn_sue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™