Getting rid of tickle in throat

okwriterSeptember 9, 2008

Do you sometimes get an annoying little tickle in your throat? Not the hack of a winter cold and not choking -- just a little cough (and cough and cough).

What do you do for yours?

We slept with a bedroom window open slightly last night because of the cooler temperatures. Darned if I didn't cough all night...don't know if it was dust or cool air (in the 50s) or what). I sure could use some suggestions for what to do next time. Water and a cough drop stopped it long enough for me to get back to sleep but it wasn't a good sleep.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OklaMoni

Rita, could it be an allergic reaction to RAGWEED? You do know, it is flowering and pollinating like crazy right now, don't you?

I just take more allergy meds this time of the year, to keep from just getting that "tickle".

Moni

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 8:07AM
ronf_gw

My Grandfather always used Blackberry Brandy for a cure of those pesky throat tickles.

Ron; cough, cough

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 8:15AM
okwriter

You may be right about an allergy, Moni, because there was some of that nasty "drainage" stuff, too. I'm not much for taking medicines, but I like Ron's suggestions!!

What's that I hear? The phone? Oh, my...must run to town and wouldn't you know it---I have to drive by a liquor store! LOL!

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 9:01AM
country_bumpkin_al

Probably not as good as the Blackberry Brandy,(haha),but you can mix Apple Cider Vinegar and honey. Take a tablespoon as often as needed. Elderly lady I use to take care of, kept a jar beside her ALL the time!

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 9:07AM
vannie

Try the old fashioned remedy--warm salt water gargle.

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 9:07AM
grammahony

I totally agree with Moni. I heard on the weather last night that the Ragweed is rampant this year. DD and both her kids have allergies and are suffering through it now.
Leslie

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 9:14AM
dirt_yfingernails

I read a long time ago to drink lemonade (even the pre-packaged mix works) as hot as you can stand it.

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 9:22AM
okwriter

We have lemonade and apple cider in the cabinet. I'll drink one of those at bedtime tonight. I just couldn't get "awake" enough to do anything in the middle of the night except get a glass of water and a cough drop.

Thank you all!

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 9:29AM
clairdo2

Dh and I both started this tickle in the throat when we started taking water pills for blood pressure. Doc said it would happen. So could this be your problem?

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 9:31AM
Tally

If it's not an allergy it could be a sinus infection. I had one and didn't realize it until I saw a doctor. That little tickle I couldn't get rid of was actually drainage.

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 10:04AM
summer_tx

I was gonna suggest a sip of whiskey and honey too, but I see Ron beat me to the bar. LOL I have had those tickley coughs Rita, so I know how aggravating they can get. Hope some of the home remedies do the trick for you.

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 10:12AM
Jodi_SoCal

Try a pinch of salt at the back of the throat.

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 10:33AM
jannie

Tally is on the right track, whenever I get a cough it's actually my sinuses draining. I get relief by using a Neti Pot.

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 10:35AM
itsmesuzq

I have the same thing! I wake up coughing and coughing and then have to get up, blow my nose, spray saline in my nose and that usually does the trick. I think with me something gets my nose stuffed up, or running down the back of my throat (sorry for the graphics) and it wakes me with that darn coughing!

Anyway, blow, saline and I'm good to go...back to sleep. Hopefully.

~Susan

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 10:39AM
OklaMoni

Yup, sinus drainage... that is why I am thinking allergies. The open window could have triggered an acceleration of the symptoms

Moni

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 10:58AM
sue_va

I have the same problem from time to time.

Finally went to an EENT doc and after running a tube, with a light, through my nose and down my throat he told me to go to drug store and get a bottle of saline spray and use that.

I just got a new bottle last week and it definitely helps.

He told me if I could find the kind of bottle that is refillable to get that, and make my own, but so far I haven't found one. A bottle is only a couple dollars.

It sure is aggravating when I'm trying to have a conversation with someone.

Sue

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Has anyone here had EYELEA injections for macular degeneration?
I have been getting Eyelea injections for several months...
redcurlsfl
One thing about Shark Tank
One thing about Shark Tank that really irritates me....
Chickey Wingz
Back in the day.......
The KT moved at a much faster pace. A normal day was...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Friday/Weekend Trivia Quiz
Happy Kahlua day! MATTI got the right answer! 1/3 of...
Jasdip
Survivor Reminder - Season 30!
Yes, the "junk food of television" starts...
countrycottageklutz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™