My girl dog won't leave my boy dog alone

amyfiddlerAugust 9, 2012

Both dogs are "fixed." The female is a Lhasa Apso (sp) and my boy dog is a very tall Boxer. The female will not leave the poor male alone lately! Poor Boxer can't leave his tail end exposed anywhere without her coming around and you know whatting on his hind legs. Its getting really irritating -

Not knowing squat about dogs, I'm no whisperer...how can I discourage this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

If they are both fixed, it's not hormone driven. It's a dominance thing, she wants him to know who's boss. You can correct the behavior by keep a leash on her when you're around,a nd keeping her close to you. But the behavior is sport/play/dominance behavior. Doesn't hurt anything.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 10:58PM
amyfiddler

OK that makes sense. I didn't figure it was hurting anything, but I can see that my Boxer is annoyed, and for whatever reason it irritates me. I just want to scream, "Have some self respect you desperate little dog" . Ha ha - I just feel sorry for my boxer who can't get a decent break from her.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 12:35AM
kayjones

Amy, I have a male Border Collie and a female Chi - both have been neutered. The Chi started pestering/humping my B.C. every time he would lay down, so I got out the spray bottle filled with water.

Every time I caught her bugging him in that manner, I sprayed her. It didn't take long for her to learn to leave him alone. Yes, it's annoying to the other dog and people who see it - problem solved with the use of the spray bottle.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 7:59AM
jasdip

I didn't know females hump, I thought just males did.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 9:20AM
schoolhouse_gw

I always have corrected this behavior in dogs I have owned and they eventually stopped, with perhaps an isolated incident now and then. All I had to do then was speak harshly. I am the dominant one in this household not them.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 9:39AM
matti5

When I babysit my granddog he constantly humps my lab. Both are males and neutered. I agree with the others about it being a dominance issue. Grandpup is a little dog weighing about 20lbs, my lab is 90 lbs. Makes for an interesting sight to say the least. My lab could care less.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 12:51PM
marie_ndcal

Do watch your boxer that he does not turn and either hurt the other dog or someone around at that time.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 1:41PM
schoolhouse_gw

But what makes the dog do that to a toy, furniture or other inanimate object? My aunt's Yorkie does this to his blanket sometimes. She thinks it funny, I think it's disgusting! ugh. I'm not all that convinced it's always a dominance thing.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 2:43PM
chi83

It's not just dogs with the blankets! I have a cat who sucks and kneads the blanket and then starts humping it sometimes. He was abandoned when only a few weeks old and had to be hand-fed so I always assumed the sucking/kneading was a nursing thing but I don't know where the humping comes from! Poor thing has his signals confused, haha.

My other two just knead things occasionally but that's it. All are neutered.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 2:59PM
amyfiddler

Can you imagine if humans did this???? The office place would be a dominance madhouse.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 1:29PM
schoolhouse_gw

LMAO! oops, maybe I should make that just LOL.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 4:07PM
Cassandra

Well, the office place IS a dominance madhouse at times! Humans just show it in different ways, more "civilized" than smelling each others behinds (as my cats do!)

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 4:32PM
kayjones

No, in the office setting, you see blatant butt-kissing - Ewwwwww!

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Cat with arthritis? Problems moving.
Hi, I posted this on Pets too but I don't know how...
chi83
Did everyone send out their swap gifts?
Just checking, only a few days left.
JoAnn_Fla
Trying to give up diet soda.
Do y'all have any suggestions what I can replace those...
moonie_57
My perennials might be in trouble!
Was out checking for winter damage in my yard, and...
prairie_rose
Sponsored Products
Domusworks Chevron Jewel Decorative Pillow - DM42
$75.99 | Hayneedle
'My Father' Wrapped Canvas
$39.99 | zulily
Lotus Polished Chrome One Light Table Lamp with Ivory Shade
$136.00 | Bellacor
DW 3528 Double Row LED Strip Light 240/m 15mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Coastal Shower Doors Shower Enclosures Paragon Series 22 in. x 65 in.
Home Depot
Newbury Round Mirror
$849.00 | FRONTGATE
Romano 4-foot Indoor/ Outdoor Boxwood Spiral Tree
Overstock.com
Remer by Nameeks 317Q7 Handheld Shower Head - REMER 317Q7
$26.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™