What's for dinner Saturday?

patti43August 18, 2012

Leftover creamed cabbage with sausage. Tonight we'll have some of the cranberry sauce I made the other day with it.

What are you having tonight?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pam_25f

I am experimenting with Chicken cordon bleu, sort of, no ham. Fresh picked sweet corn and homemade bread, and we still have brownies! Patti, wish my husband would eat as many different things as yours seems to.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 5:17PM
glenda_al

Nikki's West down by The Farmer's Market: veal cutlet with brown gravy and, of course, 7 layer salad, plus a bite or two of a warm cornbread muffin.

Treated myself later to Stick in the Mud ice cream, at Bruesters, which is chocolate covered pretzels in chocolate ice cream with fudge. Pretty darn tasty!

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 5:25PM
gadgets

I had barley and wild rice, along with hamburger gravy, and a side salad.

Glenda: How do you only eat a bite or two of cornbread? I would have to eat the entire muffin.

Shirley

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 5:41PM
patti43

Pam, I've had chicken cordon bleu, but never made it. You're killin' me with the fresh picked corn and homemade bread. (And, of course, brownies.) Harry does eat just about anything, especially vegetables. In fact, I don't know one he won't eat right off the top of my head.

Oh, Glenda, I wish there was a way to make a small 7-layer salad. Your dinner sounds good--but man, oh man, that ice cream sounds terrific! My chocolate gene is in high gear since I'm trying so hard NOT to eat sweets for a while.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 5:42PM
jasdip

We just finished dinner. I made roast beef, steamed green beans and onions, with some balsamic vinegar drizzled over the veggies.

Hubby made his potato dish. White and sweet potatoes cut in chunks, drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper and many cloves of garlic, baked in the oven.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 5:44PM
patti43

Shirley, isn't wild rice the best? Jasdip posted a recipe last winter (?) for a chicken wild rice soup that is just mouth-watering good. Harry would like that--he likes barley. Are there different kinds of barley? What I found at Publix wasn't as big as the barley my mom put in soup. Do you make hamburger gravy just like sausage gravy? Or chipped beef gravy? That would be good on Glenda's muffin :-)

Jasdip, that sure sounds like a birthday dinner. Geez, now you have Mr. Tom in the kitchen!! Good goin', girl!!

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 6:00PM
glenda_al

gadgets, I try hard to limit my bread intake, particularly two days straight in a row.

So I justify by having a bite or two, tee hee

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 6:09PM
yayagal

All of you may want to watch this video. My husband found it and we've been doing corn this way ever since. No mess at all. I used to hate shucking the corn and removing the silks, now I feel like I'm doing a magic trick.

Here is a link that might be useful: easy peasy corn on the cob

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 6:11PM
gadgets

patti: I use pearled barley. It's not considered a whole grain....hulled barley is. I tried it once and it took forever to cook. Wild rice is so expensive. That's why I do a mix. As for my hamburger gravy, it would be similar to sausage gravy, except I just mostly use water instead of milk. I may have to try to find that chicken wild rice soup recipe.

Shirley

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 6:46PM
Georgysmom

Played in a tournament today. The first day of a two day event.......was very tired when I came home. Could it be the three glasses of wine? One is usually too many for me. We're just having pizza that DH is making. I shall make dinner for tomorrow night later when I fully wake up. That way if I over indulge tomorrow, I won't have to worry about dinner. LOL

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 6:54PM
patti43

Yayagal, that is so cool! You're right, it is like a magic trick and I just have to try it. Thanks!

Shirley, my barley is pearled. Must be I didn't cook it right. I'll try again. One of the stores had a sale on wild rice so I stocked up. I have three boxes left. :-)

That 19th hole is a killer, Georgysmom! Sounds like a fun day and, hey, DH is making dinner. It's all good. Maybe you'll have leftover pizza for tomorrow night. LOL!

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 7:51PM
azzalea

Only finally had time to sit down and recount dinner.

DD came down this afternoon--While her father changed her oil, we headed out and went to some farm markets, a little Italian market, etc.

I'd planned a simple dinner--just fried tomatoes and scalloped potatoes, then a neighbor dropped off some chicken legs while we were out, so we added that, too (and they were delicious!)

Then we sat around talking, and eventually munching on some homemade almond ice cream, and brownies (purchased--from the Amish Market, not homemade--LOL). Then she finally got on her way about 8:30. Love having her here, but hate her driving home through the deer-populated woods after dark.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 8:49PM
OklaMoni

My friend Ling called, and we ended up at Old Chicago Pizza! YUMMY... and I have left overs for tomorrow. :)

Moni

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 8:57PM
jasdip

Patti, do try the corn like that. It's how I always do it now.
8 minutes is far too long, though. 2 cobs for us is perfect at 6 minutes.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 9:18PM
Nita__AZ

Bobby and Amber came for dinner. I made Bobby's favorite steak sandwiches. He even put the sauteed onions and peppers on them. They were really good so will make them again for him.

He was here yesterday and helped unload the groceries from the car. Amber said she was in the garage when he put the meat in the freezer and spied the liver I bought. She said he was drooling in anticipation of being invited for liver and onion dinner. LOL

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 9:48PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

We went to Alicia's for Mexican tonight it was very good as usual.

I also picked up a bunch of fresh raw peanuts to boil up so I can take some home to Louisiana with me when we go.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
House of Cards
We really enjoy this show and were glad to have the...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
A new Random Letters game
Remember this one? You post a string of 6-7 random...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Pay off my house or buy a new one?
I'm thinking about retirement. Thinking about having...
Kathsgrdn
What did you do, during the recent cold and snow?
I shoveled, I baked, I baked and I recovered chair...
OklaMoni
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™