wth?

angelaidAugust 29, 2012

Since late last week, the clock on my computer loses about 10 minutes every night. I didn't realize it for a few days and was accidentally leaving early. Boss never said a word. Met a friend after work Friday and she mentioned I was off early. Looked at my phone and I should have still been at work for a few more minutes. Now I have to re-set my clock every morning. Very odd!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

It sounds like it needs a new battery for cmos if you have an IT dept. let them know about it. If it is not replaced it will be worse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cmos battery

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 5:10PM
iowagirl2006

If your clock was loosing time - wouldn't you be staying later? Or am I thinking assbackwards? LOL?

How old is your computer? I have a new computer, but it wasn't keeping time right. I changed where it was synchronizing time from and now it is right. I switched to "time-a.nist.gov to get it to sync. I tried several others and they wouldn't sync.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 8:15PM
cynic

What kind of computer, which operating system and how old is it? A battery used to be a common cause of that symptom but it's very rare now. I haven't had a clock battery issue for over 10 years or more. Certainly it should be checked, but I'd be more suspicious of other possibilities. Have you checked for malware? Are you current on Windows Updates, etc? There can also be software programs that interfere with the clock on a system too and affect it although most systems automatically sync time. Is yours set to do this?

It'd be a good idea to let it sit for a day unused and see if it loses time. No matter what, you need to have your computer checked out.

And yeah, I'm confused how a slow clock would get you leaving early! :D Maybe your internal body clock was trying to tell you there's something wrong with the computer and make up for it!

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 8:53PM
angelaid

You're right, must be gaining time.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 9:51PM
joyfulguy

Loses overnight ...

... gains during the day?

Very accomodating clock, I'd say!

o j

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 5:31PM
jemdandy

I'd say that your CMOS battery is dying. When the computer is powered up, it re-charges the "keep alive" battery and supplies systgem voltage. The computer clock will keep time during the on-time, but will not be accurate soon after the computer is shut down.

Other strange things can happen as this battery dies. The keep-alive battery runs the clock and holds all the system settings and preferences. If the battery voltage drops too low, some of these settings may change too.

These rechargeable keep-alive batteries usually last 3 years. after that, they may fail anytime. I had one go out (in an older professional computer) in 2 years and I've had batteries last 5 years in my newer personal computers. The best indicator of a failing battery is the computer clock becomong inaccurate when the computer is off.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 4:46AM
emma

Ole Joyful

Loses overnight ...

... gains during the day?

Sounds like my body instead of my PC

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 12:01PM
joyfulguy

Hi Emma ...

... just as long as your goose isn't cooked!

o j

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
A new Random Letters game
Remember this one? You post a string of 6-7 random...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
how do you clean black scuff marks off vinyl flooring?
A quick web search mentioned using the rubber sole...
pammyfay
Let's get to know each other March 1, 2015
Its been a really long time since we did this and I...
JoAnn_Fla
Today is"Poundcake Day!"
Share your favorite recipes. The link is one of mine....
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Update On Husband
My husband is now in the Heart Center and has been...
marilyn_sue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™