Vanilla Extract

two25acresAugust 3, 2012

Have you ever made it from scratch? I am starting to do some fall and winter planning, my mom is coming to live with us shortly. She will want to help me out, physically she can't do much right now but down the road I'm hopeful. Anyway, I saw a recipe for making vanilla extract and thought it would make a great christmas gift. Please let me know if you've made and if you liked it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debby_ab

I've made it with vodka and vanilla beans. It's all I used for years. The only reason I have store bought Vanilla in my cupboard right now is because a big bottle at Costco was so inexpensive.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:52PM
pam_25f

I do what debby does.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:53PM
azzalea

I ONLY use my own homemade--bet it's been 10 years since I bought a bottle. As a matter of fact, I realized that my bottle is about half empty, so it's about time to start another.

I split 15 good quality vanilla beans (I get mine from Penzey's--they're large, fresh, and of excellant quality). The, I pour about 1/2 cup out of a 750 ml bottle of decent (doesn't have to be the best, but not the cheapest, either) vodka. I put that extra into my old vanilla bottle. You need to take some out to make room for the beans. Drop the beans in, replace the cap and let it age in a cool dark place for about 3-4 months. If you drop the beans in stem-side up, you can usually 'catch' them with a clean crochet hook when you need one for a recipe.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 6:05PM
kayjones

Yes, I make mine with Vanilla beans and vodka. It's 'ripe' and ready for ME to use in about 6 months.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:05PM
JoAnn_Fla

Here is the recipe I have at the ktgatheringplace.

Vanilla Extract
Prep Time: 5 Minutes Ready In: 21 Days 5 Minutes
Servings: 200

10 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
1 liter vodka

Place the vanilla beans in the bottle of vodka and seal. Store in a cool, dark area such as a kitchen cabinet for 3 weeks, shaking the bottle every week. Three weeks is the minimum, store it 6 months for the best flavor. After using, replace with more vodka. The same beans will continue to flavor the vanilla for up to a year.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:17PM
kayjones

That's the one I use, Joann, except I make a much smaller batch at a time - I use 4 oz. Vodka to one split Vanilla bean.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:48PM
countrycottageklutz

I'd like to add that the homemade vanilla, with whichever recipe you decide on, is a lovely idea for Christmas gifts! I've received a couple of bottles in the past from friends, along with the "cookies in a jar" (premeasured, add your own liquids, mix and bake type), and home made Bailleys. All were much appreciated, and a highlight of the season.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 8:20PM
Vickey__MN

I made a bunch last year super easy (beans are reasonable on E-bay-way better price than buying from most stores)...When I bottled it up I put a bean in the bottle, the little seeds help with the flavor.

You may never have to buy vanilla again if when your "big" bottle is about 1/2 gone, you just add more vodka, and let steep again!

When you buy beans in bulk, take some, add to sugar and make Vanilla sugar for baking. I always have vanilla sugar on hand to put in my coffee too. Adds just a hint of vanilla.

Vickey

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 3:59AM
tobygirl

I always make mine, but I use brandy instead of vodka.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 5:06AM
wildchild

I've made my own vanilla bean sugar for baking but I use professional bakers emulsions a lot for flavoring. Never made my own vanilla extract but I don't often have a need for it.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 5:11AM
two25acres

Thank you for the feedback. I think this will definately be the start of the Christmas gifts and projects for mom. Just one thing, I don't really drink except for a Margarita about 3 - 4 times a year. Is there a difference in Vodka? Is there a stregth/brand I should look at? I think we well get the beans at Penzey's, that is one of mom's favorite places to go. I'll do some research online for some special bottle's to use. Anyone have any recommendations?
Thank you everyone and have a great day.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 1:40PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Below is a link to a company that has just about any kind of bottle you would like or have a need for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bottles Online

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
My Mother
We just had last rites performed for my mother. Hospice...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Guest room is finished.
About 3 weeks ago I asked for mattress recomendations...
Rose Pekelnicky
Advice: Would this bother you?
I was involved in a car accident a few weeks ago. ...
pawprint1
CNN says "Co-Pilot reprogrammed autopilot to crash plane"
It is so unfortunate that we seem to be succeeding...
pickyshopper
man, that was windy, and the hail was big
HUGE storm just went over. Still raining. I hope,...
OklaMoni
Sponsored Products
Vanilla Wasatch Sofa Table
Overstock.com
Vanilla Metallic-Satin Light Gray Shade Double Gourd Lamp
Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Larvik Brick Red 3' Round
$80.97 | Home Depot
King 600TC Flat Sheet - VANILLA
$132.90 | Horchow
Red Vanilla Odett Platinum 4 pc. Place Setting - OP100-904
$81.72 | Hayneedle
Hand-tufted Traditional Coliseum Vanilla Floral Border Wool Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™