Beaware area code 849

marie_ndcalAugust 1, 2012

I had a call from this area code and be careful. Appears to be coming in from the Domingo Republic. They are targeting seniors and trying to get information like SS # , your Dr's name etc. I just say Hello, (once) and hang up. I do not push the button to not get any more calls.

There is an increase on these types of phone calls.

Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arcy_gw

Just do not answer the phone for any number you don't know...problem solved.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 4:12PM
suzieque

I answer no calls from "unknown", "private caller", or numbers I don't know/area codes I don't know. I just don't pick up the phone. If anyone wants to reach me they'll leave a voicemail.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 4:32PM
kudzu9

Also be aware that many of these scammers leave a callback number on your answering machine and tell you they have an urgent message for you. When you call back they typically put you on hold or beat around the bush for as long as they can...while you get a charge of $5-$10 a minute on your phone bill.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 4:23AM
LuAnn_in_PA

That would be the Dominican Republic....

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:21AM
bernd ny zone5

They are still calling, received one today in January 2013.
We have phone ID on two phones and one TV. We strictly only answer and/or pick up calls from phone numbers we know.

Be also aware that phone numbers and names on the phone ID display can also be fake. Sometimes we get phone calls from different (fake) area codes shortly after each other, must be the same office calling.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 3:08PM
glenda_al

That's why I enjoy my caller ID

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 4:13PM
ntt_hou

I've been getting calls from them too and 1 at 7:30am this morning! Looked at my caller ID and simply ignored them.

I now set my ringtone to 2 and let the answering machine takes care of the rest. They get annoyed by it and stopped the call. With only 2 ringtones, it hasn't bothered me as much.

Thanks for letting us know who these scams are.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 4:59PM
Country Sunflower

We get them too... but I simply ignore those that I don't recongnize and unknown or private caller.. I told Larry about that to. since he isn't used to a land line.. so he is learning..

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 7:48PM
pammyfay

Ditto to Glenda's comment!
I never knew how valuable Caller ID was until I got it!
The hang-up click I used to hear on my answering machine told me that it wasn't an important call, but my caller ID gives me the number so that I can see where these people are calling from. (Too many calls from the same donation company in one day mean that I take my stuff elsewhere, because I don't want money going to telemarketing; they already stuff our mailboxes with donation requests.)

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
What's for Dinner ... Friday?
It certainly doesn't feel like spring here in my part...
gadgets
Best Bra you ever had.
I have tried every bra brand there is, and cannot find...
jenson13
Drapes, 84 or 98?
Do you prefer your drapes hung near the ceiling (98)...
lucillle
Site of the Day Mar 28
The Graffiti Creator - design your own name or logotype...
caseynfld
I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours Sat Mar 28
There are 2 lighthouses at Cape Spear, this is the...
caseynfld
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™