Do you have 60 seconds to save a Sears kit home?

rosemarytAugust 1, 2012

No foolin' - it only takes 60 seconds.

This kit home - based on the "Sears Lewiston" but ordered from Montgomery Ward - is going to be demolished in seven days to make way for a college expansion. The house is in Bowling Green, Ohio (at the BGSU campus).

Follow the link (below) to go to a site where you can sign a petition to save this house. The goal is 2,000 signatures.

The college is in quite a hurry to get this house torn down, and we're seeking a "stay of execution" so that we can do more research, or better yet, explore the option of MOVING the house to a new site.

Click on the link below to learn a little more about this 1930s Neo-Tudor, built by Virgil Taylor.

It's quite a story, and the house is definitely worth saving.

The house, soon after it was built:

The Sears Lewiston, upon which this house was based:

Comparison of the two houses:

The house today (and by the way, it's in very good condition). The college claims it's just in the way.

An original plank that was found in the house, showing that it came from Montgomery Ward.

Catalog pic of the door:

And the door in real life:

To learn more and sign a petition, click below.

According to "The Slate Bible" (2003), 28% of the debris found at landfills came from demolitions and remodeling.

This house doesn't need to end up at the landfill.

Thanks in advance for signing the petition.

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Virgil's Montgomery Ward/Sears kit house

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

I signed.

What a lovely building, with handicap access too! Hope it can be moved, or saved to use where it is located.

Sue

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 5:34PM
houstonmom_gw

What a beautiful house! I love the front door. Signed, and hopefully the house can be moved to a new location.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 6:07PM
RuthieG__TX

I signed and alerted some friends.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 8:56PM
emagineer

A Denver campus created a special block of homes which were moved because of intrusion. It is built in a circle to be visited by anyone. They are small or about the size of one shown, wonderful examples of architecture during the eras. I suspect a grant was given to save the homes.

I hadn't thought about these homes for years. An example of not looking at what other's have done to honor our heritage. Why wouldn't the historical society come to the rescue?

Gosh, it has been a long time. I ran a search and other huge historical buildings are now part of the campus. All are part of campus use. Interesting and wonderful what they have done to retain all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Araria Campus

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 9:01PM
mdrive

do you have an update on this? hopefully there was a 'stay of execution'

really intriguing situation!

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 10:45AM
jannie

I noticed the handicap access also. I signed the petition.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 11:00AM
Jamie_LA

How sad to even consider demolishing this home! It's a pity they can't "work" around it and use it for something for the school. I signed.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 11:04AM
jel48

I just received an email from the petition site. It reads:

"The Popular Culture Building has been demolished. (SignOn delayed my earlier message about final efforts to save it, and now it's truly too late.) Thanks again for your efforts to preserve an important and unique structure."

So, despite all the signatures, the house is gone. Very sad.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Pay off my house or buy a new one?
I'm thinking about retirement. Thinking about having...
Kathsgrdn
Anyone get their Houzz gift?
I just received mine today, very cool!
chi83
5 word game
Start with a word and from that word create 5 new words...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Today is "Dr Seuss Day!"
A genius! You loved him, your kids loved him, now your...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™