Do you think a good percentage of letters

kfca37August 30, 2012

to Dear Abbie-type advice columns are just plain faux?

In today's newspaper there was a lady who complained that her husband was probably not true to her, & how could she make him true to her. BTW, she's his fourth wife. I often wonder the same about the "Miss Manner's" letters. The letters often sound as "arch" as her replies.

Now that correspondence to advice columnist can so eaasily be sent via email, which lends itself SO easily to fiction creativity, I can't help but wonder.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellendi

Could be. I never take those columns too seriously. If good advise is gven and something can be leaarned then who cares if it's made up. I look at is an entetainment.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 3:31PM
jemdandy

I do not think that "Dear Abbey" has to make up stuff. I believe that she recieves more letters on a daily basis than she ever replies to. Her file cabinet must be stuffed with material. Therefore, on a slow day, she could dive into the files to find a subject, and then highly fictionalize it. Is all that stuff true? Who knows?

However, some of the subjects are so dim witted that I suspect these submissions are made up and sent in as a lark, or maybe as a heavily disguised tale about a real event and the submitter wishes to find advice without revealing too much about themself.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 12:35AM
nanny98

I think the 'original' Dear Abbey (or her sister) always claimed that the letters were true and that "life was/is stranger than fiction". I sort of agree with that idea.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 1:42AM
More Discussions
Anyone else still looking at the email confirmation message?
I'm getting a little tired of looking at Please confirm...
Alisande
What is your favorite kcups for Keurig
Bought a Keurig the beginning of this month. LOVE LOVE...
nodakgal
If you could take back 10 years...
If you had the ability to have 10 years of your life...
pickyshopper
Harbinger of Spring!
Ha, I looked out of my front window a little while...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Let's start a Chain Reaction Game! Get some activity going here.
We played this one before so it should be familiar...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™