Spinning wheels

pawsitive_gwAugust 17, 2012

Hi gang! I don't post often, but have run into a wall. I recently purchased a spinning wheel that I am trying to get to work. She is a really sweet wheel, treadles beautifully, but throws the drive band. But that's not what I'm writing about. The wheel is stamped "Shaw Island Fleece Works" and has a paper tag under the table signed "Michael Baehr" and #49. According to the one newspaper article I could find, he was 30 years old in 1974, had quit his accounting job and started making spinning wheels, he was on #24(?) at the time. Soooo....I am looking for anyone in the Washington state area that might be familiar with the San Juan islands and the Shaw Island Fleece Company. And if anyone happens to know Michael F. Baehr, that would be a grand slam! I posted on ravelry but haven't gotten any hits directly about him or the SIFC. I'm going to write the historical society there and see if they can shed some light on it. I would love to find out if all the pieces are here and what it would take to get her spinning again. She is just too pretty to be a parlor ornament! TIA. p

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tami_ohio

P, I don't have any information for you but you might try joining the Knitting Paradise forum. www. knitting paradise . com. There are a lot of spinners there, and they may have some info for you! Please come back and let us know what you find out.

Tami

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 1:15PM
More Discussions
Why would a celll phone addict invite someone on an outing and then --
-- not tear themself away from their cell phone?
eclair
Friday/Weekend Trivia Quiz
When looking back on high school, just under HALF (46%)...
Jasdip
Book of the Week
The sweet life in Paris : delicious adventures in the world’s...
stacey_mb
A new Random Letters game
Remember this one? You post a string of 6-7 random...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Thought on solar companies, please
Our electricity bills are just outrageous and we are...
donna_loomis
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™