My bushel of romas

jasdipAugust 28, 2012

Darn, there are still many things I want to make with fresh tomatoes.....another tomato pie, "fresh" tomato sauce, using uncooked tomatoes, and more tomato sandwiches.

My romas are all gone. It's been all cooked up, and eaten, and they were getting fruit flies. I hate those things.

But now I want some more. But not enough to split another bushel with someone!

I've got tomatoes on my plants in my little garden but they're green as green. Sigh...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jude31

Wish I could twitch my nose and send you some tomatoes, but they're not romas. All summer I've been thinking I would make a tomato pie. I've seen numerous recipes of one kind or another but just haven't done it. Do you have a favorite recipe, Jasdip?

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 11:04AM
jasdip

Hi Jude,
I used Ruthie_TX's recipe. But I did cut down the mayonnaise from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup.

Tomato Pie
6 servings

1 9-inch pie shell
1/2 yellow or red onion, chopped
3-4 plum tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, seeded, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped, to yield approximately 3 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup sliced basil (about 8 leaves)
2 cups grated cheese (combination of sharp Cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Gruyere or Mozzarella)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon (or more to taste) of Frank's Hot Sauce (or Tabasco)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
*To slice basil, chiffonade them by stacking the leaves on top of each other, roll them up like a cigar, starting at one end slice the "cigar" crosswise in thin slices.

1 Preheat oven to 350F. Place pie shell in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or longer until lightly golden. If you are starting with a frozen crust, you'll need to cook it a little longer.

2 Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes, using paper towels, a clean dish towel, or a potato ricer.

3 Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with chopped onion. Spread the chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.

4 In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, Tabasco, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. The mixture should be the consistency of a gooey snow ball. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.

5 Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly, anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes. Ruthieg tx

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 11:20AM
jude31

That's evil!!! So I say, AnnT, can you,top Jasdip's tomato pie picture. I'm almost drooling on the sscreen!

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 12:03PM
susie53_gw

Yum, yum! I am going to copy and make this... I am sure my hubby will love it.. We love tomatoes..

Our tomatoes are some of the best we have had. The vines are 5' tall. I have been doing juice every other day or so. I hate to see them go to waste.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 12:20PM
jasdip

Be sure you caramelize the onions. That makes it sooo much better. Just chopped and put in raw won't do it justice.

I chopped the end of my romas sitting in a container in the frig for my soon-to-be next pie! It's the first time I made it (on the weekend) and we love it.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 1:08PM
cherryfizz

ooh that tomato pie looks good. I was going to buy a big box of roma tomatoes at Freshco today for around $9.00. I sitll think I might go back tomorrow and get them and make some sauce and that pie.

Anne

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 5:19PM
jasdip

That's where I got my bushel Anne. "While quantities last" and they were going fast.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 5:41PM
schoolhouse_gw

Oh hey. I just posted above about having alot of little yellow pear tomatoes, do you think I could substitute those into the pie? or mix Roma and yellow?

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Today is a tough one
My husband died 14 years ago today All day I have...
satine_gw
A new Random Letters game
Remember this one? You post a string of 6-7 random...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Wine & Painting Classes
Is this a local phenomenon, or are these wine &...
party_music50
My jeans are SO loose
So I have lost about 25 pounds. (I do sympathize to...
gazania_gw
Do you belive "It's better to have loved and lost..." ?
Reflecting on my past, I had a love back in my twenties,...
pickyshopper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™