Book of the Week

stacey_mbAugust 22, 2013

The book club bible : the definitive guide that every book club member needs / foreword by Lionel Shriver.

This book is meant for book club members, but it is a wonderful resource for anyone who enjoys reading. It features a large selection of book titles and reports for every taste, suitable for a book club discussion or for individual reading enjoyment. With the choices it offers, it's a great help for book clubs and other readers to get out of a "reading slump." "Offering a friendly helping hand to enrich your reading experience, each book report provides: a non-spoiler synopsis, background information on the author and historical context, provocative starting points for group discussion, suggested companion volumes." There are also "top ten" lists, such as "Top Ten British and American Classics," "Top Ten World Classics," "Top Ten Crime Books" and "Top Ten Humorous Reads."

I'm not a book club member but in leafing through this volume I have found titles I would want to read as well as information about books I have already read. For example, the entry for Bel canto by Ann Patchett, one of my favorite books, has information that is new to me. One is under Discussion Points: "The book begins with two epigraphs, which enhance our appreciation of the novel as a whole. One of them is unattributed: it is from the libretto for Mozart's opera The magic flute. In what ways do these epigraphs relate to the main body of the story?" And under Background Information: " 'Bel canto,' 'beautiful singing' in Italian, is a vocal style with full operatic tones that requires a versatile or even a virtuoso technique." With this information, I need to read Ann Patchett's book again!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stacey_mb

Sending this down.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 1:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heather_on

It sounds like a book I need to get. Thanks for the heads up.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
I finally finished!!!
Year End is DONE!!! Took 4 days, about 3 days longer...
prairie_rose
Let's get to know each other March 1, 2015
Its been a really long time since we did this and I...
JoAnn_Fla
Today is "National Cheese Doodle Day!"
Make your own Cheeze Doodles
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Pay off my house or buy a new one?
I'm thinking about retirement. Thinking about having...
Kathsgrdn
Sandie's husband died yesterday. :(
I hate to tell you all this, but here's my email from...
Granlan TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™