Have you ever used one of these?

lazypupAugust 25, 2012

Have you ever used or seen anyone else use one of these?

Do you even know what it is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cynic

Never used one since I don't smoke. It's a cigarette lighter.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 3:51AM
maire_cate

I've never seen one - at first I thought it was a place to discard cigarettes until I read cynic's response.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 6:56AM
kayjones

Nope - never seen one.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 9:25AM
Fun2BHere

I've never seen one, but I sure would have liked for one to have been available outside the airport once lighters couldn't be carried on an airplane. I no longer smoke, but still...

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 10:43AM
foggyj

That's interesting. Never saw one before. Where would these have been put?

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 11:25AM
chisue

I've never seen one, but Cynic's response sounds correct.

From the diagrams it looks like the maker expected that MOST people would never have seen one either! (It illustrates where to put the cigarette and where to press a button.)

Perhaps such a gizmo is necessary where an open flame is not permitted? (But then why would smoking be permitted?)

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 1:05PM
lydia1959

I found this: The Ozilite Automatic Cigarette Lighter is a lighting device that has a recessed heating element and no naked flame with the purpose of lighting cigarettes. This device was designed for use in any environment that a naked flame can not exist or where conventional cigarette lighters or matches are not permitted. I have no idea though where something like this would be used (maybe prisons?). You can still purchase these new so there must be a market for them.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 1:17PM
jannie

I have no clue.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 1:18PM
lazypup

As Lydia has already pointed out, "This device was designed for use in any environment that a naked flame can not exist or where conventional cigarette lighters or matches are not permitted"

My first experience with these was when I was in the Air Force. For two of my eight years in the AF I worked in the base bomb dump on a Strategic Air Command B-52 bomber base where we stored all the bulk stocks of Pyrotechniques, Explosives and Special Weapons used by the base. That included everything from 22caliber blanks for the base gyms starter pistols, ammunition for the base police & security forces, dynomite for the civil engineers construction units and machine gun ammunition, rockets, conventional bombs and nuclear weapons for the B-52's.

Our work area was surrounded by a security fence that enclosed about a 1/2 mile square and we had numerous types and sizes of bunkers, igloos and magazines for the actual storage. We also had offices and maintenance shops within the area.

As one might imagine they were quite paranoid about any flame or spark producing devices in the area, right down to our work clothes. The normal AF fatique uniform was a cotton/polyesther blend fabric and heavy wool boot socks, but we had to wear special fatiques that looked the same but they were 100% cotton so we would not generate static electricity on our bodies.

When we reported for work we had to enter through a cental entry position where they checked our passes and just before we were permitted to enter we had to surrender all cigarette/cigar lighters, matches or other spark producing devices, which would be returned to us when we left the area.

In those days the military considered allowing smoking under within safe environments as essential to troop morale so once inside the area most of the offices and break rooms were designated smoking areas and they would had those lighters installed in the smoking areas.

The same procedures are used in oil refineries, hazardous chemical production plants or in any environment that may have a volitile atmosphers such as on an offshore drilling platform or a tankship.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 2:37PM
chisue

Oh, I see. They were created due to a *government* regulation. LOL!

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 2:53PM
Cynic

Electric lighters have been used for a long time. A different style than this was used onboard the Hindenburg and other aircraft. They're used in prisons. I imagine there's not a lot of other demand for them but (because of poor parenting I presume) they're even child resistant so some fingers can't be poked in there.

Should still work fine for firecrackers though! :)

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 6:03PM
wildchild

Oh, I see. They were created due to a *government* regulation. LOL!

Yep. ;-D

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 12:09AM
ntt_hou

Oh wow, this is so interesting.

So Lazypup, cotton doens't generate electricity as other fibers do? Is is because it's a natural fiber?

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 2:02AM
jasdip

Lazypup, your comment reminded me of a Canadian TV show that was aired last winter, called Bomb Girls.

It was about women who worked during the war, in a factory, making bombs.

It was very stringent over what they could and could not wear, they had an apron covering their clothing, their hair was wrapped in a turban-like covering. Of course this was all designed so as not to create a spark.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 11:02AM
jasdip

ooops, I meant to say the girls wore coveralls (not aprons) while working on the line.

This is the website for Bomb Girls. It's interactive and very interesting!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bomb Girls.....Just like being there

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 11:07AM
joyfulguy

What contortions people won't go through ... to get lit!

And, once the cigarette was lit ...

... couldn't it just about as easily have been used to set off a bomb?

ole joyfuelled ... who hasn't got lit, whether from a lighter or a bottle, for a long time

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Chuck roasts
I can remember when they were 50 cents a pound :(
lucillle
My Mother
We just had last rites performed for my mother. Hospice...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Cat with arthritis? Problems moving.
Hi, I posted this on Pets too but I don't know how...
chi83
Sponsored Products
Minuet Table Lamp by Currey & Company
$640.00 | Lumens
ELK Lighting Genevieve 31101/3 Semi-Flush - Polished Chrome - 16W in. - 31101/3
$444.00 | Hayneedle
Downtown Edison Brushed Nickel 9.5-Inch One Light Pendant
$119.90 | Bellacor
Siena Tall Apothecary Beverage Server With Iron Stand
Classic Hostess
Aquatic Bathtubs Ariel II 5 ft. Reversible Drain Soaking Tub in White
Home Depot