World's stinkiest plant about to bloom!

dedtiredJuly 15, 2013

The Titan Arum is about to bloom at the US Botanic Garden in DC. You can watch a live stream of it. It is also known as the corpse plant because it evidently smells like a rotting body. Watching it slowly bloom is about as interesting as watching paint dry, but the plant is fascinating.

Here is a link that might be useful: titan arum

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terilyn

We have had these at our Museum of Natural Science, Stinky!

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:18PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Yes there was one last year in Houston that bloomed. There were lines of people who went to view it. The news crews reported live, glad there was no smellavision.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 3:33AM
susanjf_gw

looks like a huge corn husk...

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:50AM
dedtired

You know, it does look like an ear of corn! I guess we are waiting for the bottom half of the "ear" to open out and start to smell really bad, not that we can smell it from here.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:19AM
bigfoot_liz

luv the webcam on that link! My DH collects Amorphophallus varieties, we have that one and 2 others that are smaller bloomers. I love the leaves and stems, they have a beautiful mottled silver pattern to them. ~ liz

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:35AM
dedtired

Liz, would that be like a Venus Flytrap??

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:22PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Ded, the flytraps are true carnivorous plants. Amorphophallus titanum are not.....that awful stench is designed to attract pollinators. They are simply a very unique flowering plant, belonging to a very large plant family that includes some of our most common houseplants.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:00PM
mama goose_gw zn6OH

Thank you dedtired, for the link. I've been watching it off and on, waiting for the show.

The petals are starting to open!!

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 5:38PM
dedtired

Eeek, thanks for reminding me. I forgot to watch. It's more interesting now that something is finally happening. On the live feed, people are climbing a ladder to get a shot of the inside, I guess. I wonder how it smells?

Thanks for the lesson, Rhizo. My kids would buy Venus Flytrap and feed bugs to it to watch it snap shut. The plants never lived to long. I think they were overfed and underwatered.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 8:14PM
mama goose_gw zn6OH

For anyone who is interested, a time-lapse video has been uploaded to YouTube.

Here is a link that might be useful: Titan Arum blooming

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 4:35PM
dedtired

Cool. Much more interesting to watch it that way.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 8:40PM
ntt_hou

I went to see it a couple of times about 3 yrs. ago at its first bloom and was able to take alot of pictures. The Museum of Natural Science in Houston had a webcam as well.

I believe that it bloomed every other year. If all goes well with the plant, the next exihibition would probably be next year in Houston.

Maybe, it was just me but to me, it smelled like cabbage, a strong smell of cabbage. It didn't bothered me. So, it really depends on how you feel about cabbage.

What bothered me a little was the high humidity that the plant needed to be kept in the exhibition room. LOL, it made the usual humidity in Houston seemed like heaven!

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
How do I stop email notifications?
Can't figure it out, but it's annoying. I don't need...
sleeperblues
Hung Jury
Jodi Arias will not get the death penalty.
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Mattress recomendations
i was wondering if anyone has a foam mattress they...
Rose Pekelnicky
A new Random Letters game
Remember this one? You post a string of 6-7 random...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
cheryl_okla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™