Pinterest

justlindaJuly 8, 2014

Wondering how it works! Some of the posts mention "free pattern" but be darned if I can ever find the free pattern. Anybody have any insights on how it works.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iowagirl2006

People "pin" things they see onto their Pinterest boards. Best case scenario - they post to the actual blog page, or webpage that the item came from. You click on the pin to open it, and then click it again to be re-directed to the website the pin came from.

People don't always pin correctly though. Sometimes they may pin something on a blog that happens to be on the main page that day, but when you see that pin 4 years later and click on it - you are taken the main page of that blog - and good luck finding the thing you were wanting to see! People should open up that actual blog post and pin it from there, so the pin will re-direct you to the actual item you were wanting to see. Some people also just directly upload a picture and you get nowhere with that either.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 8:34PM
JoAnn_Fla

I always click on the picture and it will usually take you to the website. But like Iowa girl said, people don't always pin correctly. I like to add the website address right in the message when I pin.
It helps me find it quickly.

I will tell you one thing about pinterest.................. I get so hungry looking at all the food I have to close it and get off!
You can find some great recipes there.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 3:34PM
jasdip

I don't have the greatest luck with Pinterest, I stopped looking at it a long time ago.

I wanted to find some recipes of the pictures and every time I'd click it would take me to another picture of the same dish, over and over. I guess it was being re-pinned but never with the recipe. Never could find the recipe.
Aggravating? You bet.

If it's not on the main page, I'm not going to go searching. I tried looking on food and drinks or whatever the food category is, and it's too convoluted and complicated.

There are so many good food blogs I don't need Pinterest.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 3:41PM
oldfixer

Never used it so can't say how it works. KT is bad enough for consuming time.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 6:07PM
kayjones

If you find an image ANY WHERE on the internet, right click on it and choose 'search google.com for this image'. You will get several return sites - click through them and you could find what you're looking for. Not ALL images will have a web address associated with them, but most will.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 7:18PM
Fun2BHere

Good tip, Kayjones. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 8:30PM
iowagirl2006

Google Image search is THE BOMB! LOL

I do think you need to be using the Chrome browser in order for it to work like Kay described though. You can still do a Google image search from other browsers, but you need to take a few more steps to get there.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 11:44AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I used to enjoy surfing through it, but not now because it constantly blocks the entire page wanting me to sign up. I don't want to sign up I just want to look at the stuff. It's just so annoying. Houzz is the same way now too.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 3:31AM
Tally

I love Pinterest. It's a great way to visually "bookmark" a site with a photo. Great for recipes and fab for craft ideas. I also like to search for collectible photos like village displays, old teasets, and carnival glass.

It does have one drawback though, and that is that it is a goldmine for pattern copyright infringement. People post illegal pattern copies from Russian and Chinese websites. I don't know that Pinterest is much interested in controlling it though.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 10:20AM
joyfulguy

How much ...

... right ...

... do I have ...

... to copy ...

... "copyright" ...

... material?

Answer: Not much (without paying - sometimes through the nose).

o j

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 10:43AM
Tally

None.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:38AM
susan_on

I love Pinterest, and I've found many great craft, recipe and garden ideas on there that inspired me with my own projects. Sometimes I can't easily find the original source on a link I've clicked on, but usually another link will have it. Sometimes I only need the picture for inspiration. I resisted signing up for it, but I'm so glad I did!

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:56AM
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

Thank you Kayjones for your hint. I too have been frustrated trying to find the source site for a Pinterest because I wanted the instructions, etc. Sounds like your suggestion will help with that.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
Sensitive Problem
Gotcha! Here's my sensitive problem: I'm a female,...
vicsgirl
Loser Pool
My niece plays hockey for the U of Mount Royal Cougars,...
prairie_rose
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
The outdoor hose problem
It always kinks, no matter what they say!! Does anyone...
sjerin
Today is "Floral Arrangement Day!"
Post your idea of a lovely arrangement.
Amazing Aunt Audrey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™