Glass stopper stuck in perfume bottle. Any ideas?

pump_toadJuly 30, 2008

I am wondering if anyone has a tip on how to remove a glass stopper from a glass perfume bottle.That sucker is really stuck tight !

Lois

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joanmn

Run cold water on the bottle, and hot water on the stopper. Should work. Good luck.
JoanMN

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 6:38PM
nodakgal

Is there anyway to get a few drops of oil in the stopped area? Like baby oil or cooking oil? It might be enough to help.

I found this online:

How do you release a stuck stopper?
Hold the decanter between your knees with the stopper away from you and tap the stopper gently but repeatedly with a piece of wood (the back of an old fashioned shoe brush is ideal). The slight shock should release the stopper.
Wrap a piece of hot wet cloth round the neck of the decanter. The theory is that this will cause the glass to expand and thus release the stopper.

I hope one will help!

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 6:39PM
Zipper_TX

You might try setting the whole thing in a bowl of cold water. Get the water up to the neck where the stopper is and see if that will release it.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 6:39PM
uxorial

If both the bottle and stopper are glass, with no rubber or plastic, try this:

Put the bottle in a bowl of hot water; at the same time, rub an ice cube over the stopper. The bottle should expand a little, and the stopper should shrink a little.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 6:40PM
joanmn

Oops, wrong way around! Hot water on the bottle to expand, cold water on the stopper to shrink it.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 6:40PM
FlamingO in AR

Are you trying to save the perfume? Maybe a few minutes in the freezer would help.... or a drop of mineral oil where the 2 glass pieces meet.

And I hate to contradict Joan, but I think you would run cold on the piece you want to shrink and hot on the thing it's stuck in. If it's real dainty though, I'd be hesitant to do anything too drastic.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 6:41PM
FlamingO in AR

I obviously type way tooooo slowly! lol There was only 1 reply when I started typing. Sheesh. I edit too much.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 6:49PM
azzalea

I would go easy on the temperature extremes. If this is good glass, hot water or cold water alone can crack it--using both together is a recipe for disaster. My parents were collectors of art glass, and I can assure you that even a few degrees off of room temp can shatter some kinds of glass.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 6:59PM
petaloid

Do you have Pam cooking spray or the equivalent? Put the nozzle right up against where the stopper fits and spritz it.

I had a wine glass stuck inside a water glass and we tried hot, cold, etc., to no avail.

Pam worked!

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 7:19PM
pump_toad

Just wanted to let you know that my stopper is now unstuck! I poured some olive oil around the neck of the stopper. I tried pulling on it but nothing happened so sat down to watch a TV program. 15 minutes later I tried and it came right off.
Thanks to all of you for the input.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 11:07PM
jemdandy

Next time, you might try a few drops of penetrating oil.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 4:33AM
More Discussions
Mattress recomendations
i was wondering if anyone has a foam mattress they...
Rose Pekelnicky
About My Knee Injury
I fell on the ice last Monday, injured my left knee....
vicsgirl
Alisande
caseynfld
Robert Herjavec of Shark Tank, Divorcing
How sad. I genuinely really like this guy. He's kind...
Jasdip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™