Enjoy a a word about July 4th from a founding father

happy2b…gwJuly 4, 2014

PRIMARY SOURCE.... letter about "Independence Day" 1776 from John Adams to his wife:

"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

Happy celebration, everyone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gadgets

That's excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 2:10PM
chisue

Adams was speaking of JULY 2, 1776 -- not July 4.

July 2 is when the Continental Congress voted to declare independence, The July 2 Pennsylvania Evening Post published the news, saying, "This day the Continental Congress declared the United Colonies Free and Independent States."

Lest you think I'm so smart, I have to tell you I read this in an op-ed piece in today's Chicago Tribune, who took it from the Washington Post.

It includes a wonderful declaration by George Washington, also made July 2 , without his knowledge that the Congress had acted.. A section of it states:

"...Let us, therefore, animate and encourage each other, and show the whole world, that a freeman contending for liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on Earth."

On July 4 the Congress approved the Declaration of Independence, largely written by Jefferson, but it was only signed in stages, beginning August 2. There was no actual joint signing as pictured in our school books, with all the signers in Philadelphia.

On July 8, Philadelphia celebrated.

The Army, camped near NYC under Washington, heard the news July 9 and celebrated.

Georgia got the word August 10.

London found out about August 30. And the fight for our republic began. Will we keep disproving Franklin's doubts about our ability to keep this treasure?

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 3:40PM
wanda_va

God bless our founding fathers. We owe them so much, for their wisdom and service to our country.

It's mind-boggling to me that three of our first five presidents died on July 4--John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Monroe (Adams and Jefferson died on the same day, less than six hours apart)!

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 7:17PM
mojomom

Who among us has read the entire Declaration of Indeoendence recently and
took the time to really discuss it. That is what my DH and I did Today while we were driving. It was a fun and educational experience. Not to mention timely.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 11:17PM
joyfulguy

One quote from one of your early leaders that I feel to be important in every democratic society is,

"The price of freedom is ... eternal vigilance".

Was it Nathan Hale?

Those in power often seek to expand theirs ... often by non-obvious, even devious, means.

It's part of our job to keep them in check ... and a major part of that enterprise in earlier times was carried on by objective and crusading newspapers, but they are but a shadow of their former selves, and television won't do it.

The new social media can help ... but it's being used effectively by the destroyers of free and democratic societies, as well.

ole joyful

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 6:56PM
joyfulguy

Thread killer ... again ... it seems.

Any words from, our founding mothers, by the way?

Perhaps, before getting too high and mighty about the place of women in many areas of the world, we should do a check of our not so distant past.

o j

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
Loser Pool
My niece plays hockey for the U of Mount Royal Cougars,...
prairie_rose
What's for Dinner ... Friday?
I have been tied up with the cable guys for the past...
gadgets
Ok, how do I remove a post I made?
I started the post about the gold and white dress,...
OklaMoni
Maids in heels?
http://www.chron.com/business/article/San-Antonio-maid-service-wants-to-dust-off-6103995.php#photo-7581413...
lucillle
R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy has died
What a memorable character he created in Mr. Spock,...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™