Question re. the Swiffer covers.....

elisabeth_roseJuly 25, 2012

I am a huge fan of the Swiffer dusting system, but have to admit that those cloths are hard on the budget, so this could be a great idea. Does it work as well though?? There seems to be something about the Swiffer cloths that attracts and holds the dust. Wouldn't the terry cloth ones just push the dust around? You couldn't really spray anything like Pledge on them, since that would make the floors slippery. Thanks.

Elisabeth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
FlamingO in AR

I use pieces of fleece, no sewing, I just cut them to size. They grab hair and dust beautifully. Wash with regular laundry with no fabric softener.

I got this idea here at the KT, but many, many years ago. I forget who suggested it, was it Auntie Jodi, maybe?

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 2:08PM
lindaohnowga

You could try one of those microfiber cloths. Dust clings to them. They are washable.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 3:00PM
ILoveRed

Turn the cloths over and use both sides before you dispose of them. Each side works equally as well.

Learned this trick from my frugal mother.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 4:11PM
sheesh

The washcloths work well at collecting dust, hair, etc. Before I toss them in the washer I always pick off all the crud, or brush them over the trash with a small wisk broom. My friend mists them lightly with water, but I don't.

When I was using swiffers I always turned them over, too, but you can't beat washcloths for being cheap. And a lot more swiffer cloths and boxes go into the landfill than washcloths. Good all around. My

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 4:22PM
emma

They are to expensive for me to dust with and I can afford them, I just think it's a waste. I use a small feather duster a couple of times, then do a thorough dusting with a soft cloth with a little pledge or whatever on it. I felt the same way about the swiffer mops until I decided to use an old thin wash cloth instead of the sheets swiffer sells. Works great and they go in the laundry.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 4:38PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I dust with a slightly dampened cloth--wet my hands, wipe them on the cloth, and then dust. You can also use Endust and not end up waxing anything that way or use a microfiber cloth.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 5:12PM
elisabeth_rose

Thank you for your suggestions. I bought a pack of cheap, thin terry washcloths today, and I will try those after I have used up my box of Swiffers. I have never thought of turning them around, but that is an excellent suggestion!

Elisabeth

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 7:59PM
graywings123

A single sheet of paper towel works pretty well in place of the dry swiffer sheet. I like Bounty towels best.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Have You Found Any Bargains Lately?
Have you found any bargains lately? I needed a gallon...
marilyn_sue
Is this Phishing?
This was in my email this morning allegedly from GW...
wantoretire_did
Wednesday's Trivia Quiz
A can of Spam is opened every 4 seconds! LOL 6% of...
Jasdip
Fiesta dinnerware: Any other fans?
Armed with a couple of nice gift cards, I went on a...
alisande
Let's get to know each other March 1, 2015
Its been a really long time since we did this and I...
JoAnn_Fla
Sponsored Products
Portland Wool Blend Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Gourmet Chef 12-piece Covered Cookware Set
Overstock.com
Courtyard Coffee and Sand Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. Rug
$211.95 | Bellacor
Rizzy Home Applique with Embroidery Details Decorative Throw Pillow - PILT06168L
$48.00 | Hayneedle
Free Standing Cabinets Racks & Shelves: Edsal Garage Shelving 2-Tier 6-Bin
Home Depot
Gascony Outdoor Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Babar Topaz Yellow 18-Inch Square Throw Pillow
$32.99 | Bellacor
InnerSpace Sleep Luxury Reversible 6-inch King-size Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™