How much did I need to say?

secsteveJuly 29, 2012

I am going to resign as President of a volunteer organization that I've become more and more disillusioned with over the past three years.

I feel all I need to say is "For personal reason, I am hereby submitting my resignation as President and member of the board of..." and leave it at that. A close friend suggested I may want to say more, but quite frankly, I feel that covers it enough.

There's a lot more to this, but I don't want to go into all the gory details.

I always appreciate the input I receive here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hounds_x_two

I think that says it all.
Sometimes, "Less is More"!

I know this has been a struggle for you, and I am sorry.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 10:20AM
maire_cate

I can think of two adages that immediately come to mind.

the less said the better
don't burn your bridges behind you

Is it possible that some time in the future you might be interested in volunteering with that organization again?

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 10:21AM
marie_ndcal

I too went thru something similar, and what you stated sounds fine to me. Sometimes less is better. Maybe it is time to move on to a different organization or just relax and enjoy time with your family. The job of being a President or leader of ANY organization is never easy. I do wish you the best.
I am enjoying my hobbies so much more with the extra time I have.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 10:21AM
azzalea

I, too, think your simple statement is the best way to go.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 10:38AM
ghoghunter

I totally agree with everything that has been said. Just resign and move on with your life. There are so many groups that would love to have you as a member that there is no reason to stick with one you don't enjoy anymore. You should enjoy your time and the voluntter work you do not dread it. Dreading is for when you are stuck in a job you can't quit!!!!
Joann

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 10:48AM
secsteve

Thanks all. I knew I could count on you folks to help me out.

Maire, those are good adages, however, there is no way I'd ever consider going back to that organization.

I do know I can expect at least three phone calls and I guarantee one of them will be "What personal reasons". I'm one of those type who feels the need to explain myself, but not in this case.

Thanks again all.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 11:01AM
OklaMoni

Steve, Maire is right. It really isn't good to say never. I did once, and it came back to bite me.

Moni

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 11:11AM
sushipup1

Steve, be careful with those phone calls. Don't say anything more than what you said in your statement, not to any caller or member of the organization who will be digging for dirt. Whatever you say WILL get back to everyone. If you say in private, "I've had it with So-and-So's behavior at meetings," be assured that So-and-So will hear about it within minutes.

So memorize your statement and stick to it. Been there, etc etc.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 11:32AM
Georgysmom

If you do get those phone calls, just say the reasons are VERY personal and I really don't wish to discuss them.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 11:41AM
chisue

I once left a volunteer post when I felt I'd become 'stale'. I said it was just *time*. I had enjoyed the work, but felt it was time for others to take it forward. So...'Bye!

(Kinda the old breakup line, "It's not you; it's me.")

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 11:42AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

I do know I can expect at least three phone calls and I guarantee one of them will be "What personal reasons".

Here is a suggestion a dear friend gave me years ago, to deal with personal or noisy questions she didn't want to answer.

Personal questioner, "What personal reasons?"

Friend, "I don't believe I said."

After a while the 'personal questioner' soon got the message and backed off.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 11:44AM
kayjones

A boss I once had said when people are persistant in asking for the answer to 'why', and you didn't want to be specific, to just say 'it's not for edification' - that stops it right there.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 11:47AM
minnie_tx

or "I've been advised to not say anything more" good answer and will leave them guessing

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 12:13PM
patti43

If you're asked about what personal reasons, just give the old Ann Landers answer. "Why do you want to know?" If they say they're just curious, repeat, "it's personal". Say no more. Like you said, you don't need to explain.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 12:19PM
iowagirl2006

I wouldn't even say "personal reasons" on the resignation.

I would just state "please accept my resignation as President of ____" It has been a pleasure serving. Thank you".

When asked, just say " I just felt it was time to move on and let someone else take the postition."

In my opinion - it is always good to "change the management" once in a while anyway.

Kuddo's for you on volunteering!

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 12:54PM
minnie_tx

on rereading I think iowagirl2006 has the best answer

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 1:18PM
fran1523

Ditto to all the above!!!

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 1:28PM
redcurls

I agree with iowagirl2006. Sometimes you really, really WANT to get it off your mind and tell people why you're doing something,, but I think that is EXACTLY when you bite your tongue and just be gracious and go on with your life.....

The less said, the better. Unless, of course, you're LOOKING for a soapbox?

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 2:30PM
jannie

Unless you stole money from this organization, no explanation is needed!

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 2:48PM
marie_ndcal

I agree with Iowagirl. No reason need be given --your choice. Personal reason may just raise more questions that you choose to answer. Again, good luck
Marie

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 3:04PM
secsteve

Thanks all.

I've been considering this action since our first major flap in March, but decided to tough it out. Well, it didn't get better, but steadily worse which finally culminated in my resigning.

The one thing I forgot was to also send off a formal letter to the organization, which I did this afternoon. Duh, you'd think after all those years of being a secretary/administrative and executive assistant I'd have remembered that.

I wrestled with this all last night which didn't help me any at all and that's when I finally decided "tain't worth it". As I type this I feel like a boulder has been lifted off of my shoulders.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you all for your insight and your patience.

KTer's are the best!

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 4:28PM
linda_in_iowa

I agree with Iowagirl also. When you say personal reasons, it just causes speculation.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 4:39PM
secsteve

Thanks for your input Iowagirl and linda in iowa. I went ahead with the "for personal reasons" and then read your suggestion.

I really don't care if it causes speculation. I could give these people a specific reason and some of them would still speculate "hmm, that's not the real reason..."

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 7:26PM
ntt_hou

I'm sure you've tried to deliver your message and reasons to the group for quite sometime. If the group doesn't get it, no matter how much more you talk, they won't. Your action should say enough if not all.

I've volunteered and lead various organizations for years. I notice that those who volunteer normally fall into 2 categories: Those that are driven from the heart and those that are driven for the glory & attention. This is where the challenge of being a leader comes in.

Due to my physical condition, I no longer can go out to volunteer. Nevertheless, when the heart is in the right place, there are always plenty of opportunities to do good toward mankind.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 8:17PM
secsteve

I'd like to say thanks again to everyone.

It's amazing how much better I feel since I resigned and even more terrific, how better I'm able to sleep.

Someone asked me if I had any regret, and my answer was no, my health and sanity are more important.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 9:36PM
maire_cate

Then you know you made the right decision! Good for you.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 9:44PM
kacram

So, what ARE your personal reasons????
/
/ /
/ /
/ / color>
ahahhaa, just kidding!

Have you received those 3 phone calls?

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 10:40PM
minnie_tx

So, what ARE your personal reasons????
Yes inquiring minds want to know haha

Congrats On making this big decision. The time will come when you miss certain parts of the job but that is just temporary. Enjoy Life and remember we are still here for you !!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 2:17AM
secsteve

Kat and all,

Yes, I did receive three phone calls, but not the ones I expected.

All three were from supportive board members who were concerned, but didn't ask any questions. They just wanted to let me know they were there for me.

I did receive two emails from those that I expected might call. LOL. All they said is basically "What are we going to do now?" Didn't bother answering them as it's not my problem now. Up to the remaining board members to figure it out.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Mattress recomendations
i was wondering if anyone has a foam mattress they...
Rose Pekelnicky
Today is "Dress in Blue Day"
Support Colon Cancer Awareness
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Anyone get their Houzz gift?
I just received mine today, very cool!
chi83
Friday/Weekend Trivia Quiz
When looking back on high school, just under HALF (46%)...
Jasdip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™