Pennsylvania Getaway for women?

pam_25fJuly 28, 2012

We are 4 friends from northern NY looking to meet up somewhere with a friend from Maryland. We were thinking somewhere in PA. So, looking for someplace to go and something to do. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azzalea

The Lancaster area has a lot of outlet shopping, fantastic restaurants, great farmer's markets. As well as attractions like Sight and Sound.

Of course, Philadelphia has fantastic museums, also excellant restaurants, the Philadelphia Zoo, loads of other great places to go.

New Hope is just lovely--beautiful area, antique and other specialty shops, good food, near Peddlar's Village (a quaint little shopping village).

Not Penns. but the Jersey shore is also a 'middle' area, much of it's very nice--Cape May is quiet and Victorian. Ocean City is a family resort that's holding it's own. I'd avoid places like Atlantic City (too dangerous), Wildwood (too carnival-like). There's a nice free zoo in Cape May Courthouse

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 9:46AM
wanda_va

I love HersheyPark (amusement park) and Reading (shopping and the Amish country).

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 9:49AM
alisande

The Delaware River divides NY and PA....are you up for some kayaking? You can rent a kayak, life jackets, etc. at one spot, paddle down the gorgeous river (watch eagles, etc.), and disembark at another spot. The company running these will drive you back to your car.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 10:11AM
pam_25f

Thanks for the quick responses. Now I have some places to check out. Alisande, I wish we were the active kind, but we are not! and we will have my sister with me and she has some physical limitations.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 11:30AM
alisande

I don't want to give you the wrong impression, Pam.....I've never done it either! LOL

Nor have I been to Bushkill Falls, but I've heard it's worth a visit.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 11:35AM
lily316

Azzalea said what I'd say. Lancaster county has neat attractions, good German food, Philadelphia area has great places to visit in a small area. Love the Jersey shore...especially OC. Bucks county is gorgeous with old pre revolutionary house. Further west is Hersheypark and the surrounding areas and a little west is Gettysburg. Lots to do in PA.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 12:18PM
dedtired

Philadelphia or the Brandywine Valley. B Valley has Longwood Gardens, Wyeth Museum, wineries, restaurants, Chanticleer Garden ( a short drive), Hagley Museum, Nemours Mansion and Gardens.

But I love Philadelphia the most.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 1:32PM
pam_25f

I would love to go to Philadelphia, but none of us is a city driver!

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 2:55PM
dedtired

You don't need a car at all in Philadelphia. Arrive by train and take public transportation and cabs to get around. You can walk a lot of places. It's a very compact city and almost all on a grid, so it's easy to find your way.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 7:47PM
pammyfay

The Spa at the Hotel Hershey?
They advertise "signature chocolate treatments"!

There's a vineyard/winery in Hershey (wine-tastings!),
and a Tanger outlet center.

Never been -- it just has always seemed to me to be a low-key but nice getaway place.

I was in Lancaster in March and it was OK (I think I liked it better the very first time I went). Didn't think the outlets there were anything to write home about, this time around.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 1:43AM
More Discussions
janey_alabama
Made the chocolate covered peanuts in the crockpot....
Georgysmom
How to stop emails...
How do I stop lists of emails coming from houzz, was...
pekemom
Dinner at 8 (#5)
Your guest tonight is Neil Armstrong. What out-of-this-world...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Today is"Poundcake Day!"
Share your favorite recipes. The link is one of mine....
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Will it be a break, fracture or sprain?
Will find out at 11:10, Tuesday, if it is one of the...
glenda_al
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™