Homemade granite cleaner (recipe)

maire_cateJuly 31, 2012

When we remodeled our kitchen 7 years ago we replaced our old Formica countertops with granite. The granite we chose is exceptionally dense and non-porous and we haven't had to reseal it since it was installed. It also helps that we've avoided harsh cleaners (windex, vinegar, ammonia or citrus based cleaners) that can etch the surface or strip away the sealer.

I've been using a simple homemade recipe that the installer gave me and thought I'd post it here. The Isopropyl cleans and disinfects but it's a neutral cleaner so it doesn't harm the stone. Just spray the cleaner on the surface and wipe dry. Before using this concoction I researched it online and it is the standard recipe with only a few changes - some sites added 1/2 cup alcohol or used Vodka, others increased the dish detergent and others added 5 to 10 drops of essential oil to mask the alcohol smell. While I just use a paper towel many recommended using a microfiber cloth helps to eliminate streaks.

One quart spray bottle

1/4 cup Isopropyl rubbing alcohol

1 tsp. Dawn detergent

water to fill bottle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda117117

I guess Im in the minority when it comes to my granite. I don't worry about it. When we purchased, I brought up all my concerns about the granite. The kitchen guy would pour orange juice, vinegar etc, whatever he had available in their employee kitchen that concerned me. He let it sit there for hours, (the entire time we were designing the kitchen). Nothing happened. I clean my granite with windex, Mr. Clean, whatever I have. I then polish it with pledge every few weeks. It still looks as good as the day it was installed 7 years ago. As the kitchen guy told me, its rock, granite, if the elements don't hurt it, neither will we.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 8:28AM
maire_cate

That's true for many granites - but granite is a rock composed of many different elements, stones and minerals and not all of them are as carefree as yours - or mine. Before buying my stone I brought home a 3' slab that was unpolished and unsealed and left it on my counter for a week - to make sure I liked the color but also to test it- we poured vinegar, wine and orange juice and let it sit overnight and we were happy to see that none had been absorbed.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 9:05AM
glenda_al

Mine is similar:

What you can do is add a quarter cup of isopropyl rubbing alcohol into a quart-size spray bottle - add a couple of drops of liquid dishwashing detergent and then fill this to the top with water.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 10:42AM
Jodi_SoCal

I've been using a 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol (no detergent) on my black granite for the last five years with great success. And a micro cloth.

Jodi-

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 1:53PM
ntt_hou

I'm with Jodi, 50/50 and no detergent. Detergent will eventually leave a film and dull its polished surface.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
Dinner at 8 (#6)
Grace Kelly is your guest of honor. Who else do you...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Thought on solar companies, please
Our electricity bills are just outrageous and we are...
donna_loomis
How to express sorrow at this late date?
I just found out a former neighbors daughter was killed...
josephene_gw
Alisande
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™