A bouquet of flowers from our yard

jel48June 21, 2012

I love old-fashioned flowers.... like the ones my grandma had in her yard. This bouquet is peonies, iris, foxglove, and penstamon, with large hosta leaves in the back!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patti43

Oh that's just beautiful. I love peonies but they don't grow here in Florida. Those are the biggest hosta leaves I've ever seen. You must have a really green thumb!

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 6:54PM
glenda_al

So very pretty!

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 7:58PM
alisande

Lovely! Do your peonies have a splash of red in the very center? Mine do. They're an heirloom variety called Festiva Maxima. Heavenly scent. Thanks for the bouquet!

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 9:23PM
Georgysmom

Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 9:33PM
missmaggierock

That is so pretty.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:06PM
jemdandy

That is a very nice boquet, and I like the chair.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:18PM
kacram

beautiful!

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 11:26PM
jel48

Thanks everyone! Alisande, they do have a splash of red in the center. And they are very, very tall, especially the stems with the blossoms! And heavenly scented :-) I didn't know the variety so thank you for providing that!

Jemdandy, our dining room (like much of our home) is furnished in antique furniture. We have six chairs, matching table and china hutch, and a buffet. We're as nuts about antiques as we are about flowers!

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 5:12AM
bee0hio

Very pretty!! I can almost smell that lovely peony fragrance! I wasn't familiar with penstemon, so I looked it up. And I actually have a small plant of it this year. It came in a potted arrangement I got as a door prize. I just planted it outside in the ground last week.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:01AM
jel48

The Penstemon that I have is called 'Husker Red', Bee. I expect it's a relative to foxglove as it is a form of digitalis. I think of it more as a foliage plant, because the plant is large and the blossom stalk small, but it does have some pretty flowers when it is in bloom.

And scent, the house is full of the peony scent! For me, it's right up there with the smell of lilacs. I love that smell!

Here is a link that might be useful: Husker Red

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:07AM
bee0hio

Jel, looking @ your link, I thought maybe on 2nd thought mine isn't penstemon, but then on checking with Wiki.... there are MANY different species of penstemon. Mine has red flower & the bloom resembles foxglove, except that it is a closed blossom (or nearly so) & is a short plant 10" or so high, no spikey leaves either.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
Dinner at 8 (#3)
Your celebrity guest is Pauline Phillips aka Abigail...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
5 word game
Start with a word and from that word create 5 new words...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
My new name should be Manuala Labora!
As no one took the job I offered, so had to shovel...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Dinner at 8 (#2)
Your celebrity guest is Elvis Presley. What is on the...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™