any rubber stampers here? Ink pad question

jannaz_gwJune 7, 2013

I have an ink pad I got at a thrift shop. It's a RubberStampede Neon Ink Pad with yellow, pink, green and orange colors. It must be ancient, because I couldn't find any reference to it on Google, but the ink is still moist enough to be revived.

Problem is, I can't tell if it's dye or pigment ink. I suspect dye, but would hate to ruin it by using the wrong "stuff" to refresh it.

Is there an easy way to tell which is which?

(I looked at the scrapbooking forum, but their most recent post was back in January, so I'm trying here.)

Thanks,
Jann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Can't help, Jann, but I can recommend someone who can answer your question, probably. Call or email Stamp Connection. If they can help you, they are fabulous. I have no connection to the company, just a regular and happy customer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stamp Connection

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:52PM
tami_ohio

Jann, by the looks of the web site I will link, it looks like it should be a dye base ink. I am not postive, but that's what it looks like to me. It's thier ink pads listed, but not that particular one. Hope this helps. One thing that might help you figure it out is, dye base dries quickly, pigment ink stays wet longer. If you have any embossing powder, try embossing with it. If the embossing powder sticks to the ink and puffs up like it's supposed to, then it's pigment.

Tami

Here is a link that might be useful: ink pad

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 1:54PM
jannaz_gw

Sushi, thank you. At first glance, their site looks more like something for commercial stamps and inks, rather than art-stamping inks. I'll look again if nothing more specific turns up.

Tami, I think you're right--it's probably dye. I think my pad is so old, they weren't making pigment stamp pads yet--lol. It's not "juicy" enough to make embossing powder stick, so can't test that way. I may sacrifice the green (it's not a very pretty green) just to see if the refresher for dye works.

Thanks,
J

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 2:43PM
Alice_sj

Jannaz, did you try to reink the pad yet? If the pad is made of a sponge-like material, it is likely pigment ink. If it is like a thick cotton pad with a fabric top layer, it is likely dye ink.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 3:44PM
heather_on

I did some investigating and RubberStampede made dye based ink pads. I could find no menion of them making pigment ones.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
Dinner at 8 (#5)
Your guest tonight is Neil Armstrong. What out-of-this-world...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Today is"Poundcake Day!"
Share your favorite recipes. The link is one of mine....
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Drinking warm lemon water
Does anyone drink warm lemon water in the morning....
enjoyingspring
Update On Husband
My husband is now in the Heart Center and has been...
marilyn_sue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™